Input Block

mi$ho

Looking to find out how does the Input Block —> GATE work.
  • I noticed the Input 1 /Instrument Impedance has an effect over the pickup noise, but also not sure what it does exactly?
  • What is the difference between Classic and Intelligent Gate Type?
  • What are the typical Gate values for humbucker setup and for single coil?
  • Is it recommended using different gate values when playing live vs recording straight (USB)?
  • anything else I should ask :)?
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 3.14.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 3.15.16 PM.png

The input impedance settings are not part of the gate. They recreate the way different input impedance amounts load the guitar's pickups and shift its resonant peak frequency. Lower impedance settings result in more high end roll off and a darker sound. Some stomp boxes like vintage fuzz pedals can have a very low input impedance. Tube amps in general tend to have a very high input impedance.

Your gate threshold should be chosen based on the noise level of your guitar and pickups and their relative output. It sets the point at which the gate will open allowing the full signal through. Start with the gate turned down all the way and then slowly turn it up until your background noise disappears. If the threshold is set too high, the gate will close too soon and cut off your sustained notes as they fade slowly fade away. If it's set to low, it won't close enough to block your background noise. You have to find the sweet spot that gives you the most sustain yet still cuts as much noise as possible. If your guitar and pickups are quiet and you don't use a ton of gain, you may not even need the gate at all.

Classic does the entire signal, and I believe Intelligent does everything above like 300hz. I prefer to just stick with classic. Less artifacts when tracking high gain instruments. Also, I find 4.50 on the ratio has a great range for noise cancellation while still be quite sensitive to any movement. Just make sure your threshold is set for what type of music you want to play.

Back
Top Bottom