Incoming NGD: My holy grail is on its way to me!

SASouth

Inspired
I can’t believe that I’ve finally found what to me is the capstone of my Gibson Archtop collection. It’s the most I’ve ever spent on a guitar and it is one that I thought I’d never be able to buy for a reasonable cost but here it is.

The seller was accepting offers so instead of what I usually do which is just throw out an offer and go back and forth I decided to just ask him what offer he would accept. I didn’t expect to get much of a reply but he surprised me by sending me a good offer that included free shipping. This is especially nice since his asking was on the lower end for an instrument that is so pristine.

Anyway, here it is my incoming Gibson Super 400 in all its glory. Hopefully it will get here before the end of the week. Anticipation is high!

Image.jpegImage 1.jpegImage 3.jpegImage 4.jpegImage 2.jpeg

I have an L5 too. Scotty Moore and Elvis 50s and 60’s rock n roll is fine on it but metal? Probably not. Not that I play metal anyway.
^^^ This, except not just 60s. It's just an HH hollowbody, just fat. Agree maybe/probably not metal though, if for no reason other than feedback, but also agree not a major concern for me.

My L5 got stolen decades ago, which is truly a shame. It's the one guitar I really do wish I still had.

^^^ This, except not just 60s. It's just an HH hollowbody, just fat. Agree maybe/probably not metal though, if for no reason other than feedback, but also agree not a major concern for me.

My L5 got stolen decades ago, which is truly a shame. It's the one guitar I really do wish I still had.
Not Jazz box necessarily, but Jim Heath, Tim Armstrong, Izzy Stradlin, Billy Duffy all use big hollow bodies to play heavier music

Not Jazz box necessarily, but Jim Heath, Tim Armstrong, Izzy Stradlin, Billy Duffy all use big hollow bodies to play heavier music
I didn't mean to imply that I would only play those styles on it. I play whatever strikes my fancy from whatever era. My point was that I'm not really a metal fan. I tend to favor more traditional applications of the guitar. I like clean with some breakup and a bit of reverb. If I want any distorted sounds I tend to try to get it from the overdriven amp.

Drive pedals don't get much use any more. I think I burned myself out on that sound way back in the 1970s when that's about all I ever used, probably as a cover up for my poor playing.

Totally! I didn’t mean to derail your thread. Absolute bucket list of a guitar you’ve got headed your way!

… you could try a little chug though…

Back
Top Bottom