Incoming NGD - Breadcaster? Telewinner?

Tonedeaf

Power User
7D5B6498-F9ED-4D0B-81E5-EDFCC1272213_1_201_a.jpeg4272D8F8-5539-4079-9504-AB16C976151E_1_201_a.jpeg
Breadwinner/ Tele Hybrid. Solid Alder body with a Birch pickguard. All Wenge 25.5 scale neck. Kluson staggered locking tuners. Chrome Wilkinson bridge with intonated brass saddles. Always wanted a Breadwinner but the 24 fret short scale necks they had gave me pause. Dying to find out if they are as comfy to play as their reputation says.

Was tracked to come on Monday but I got a big suprise about 5:30 PM last night. The last time I bought a guitar online that I was taking a chance on liking it was before I retired and was making a bunch of overtime. I'm glad to say I rolled the dice and won. The Wenge neck is wonderful. It needs no finish so it's nice and smooth and looks great. The nut is cut perfect, i.e. as deep as possible without causing buzz. I normally have to do that myself. Has a soft V Clapton style profile feel. It's surprisingly light, so much so it's a bit neck heavy despite the big body, but my old "Heads-Up" weighted guitar strap took care of that. Biggest surprise was the sound. It sound great. This is the best sounding single sized humbucker I've played including the Duncan in my Flaxwood Hybrid, but I think it's more the combination of everything. So, how does this odd
(but very cool IMHO) shape guitar feel?. When I first slung it on it reminded me of the first time I slung on a Flying V and was surprised at how comfy it felt. Also, even though it's a great design and made from birchwood, I took off the pickguard and decided I like it better without it. The walnut finish is too nice to hide.

Was tracked to come on Monday but I got a big suprise about 5:30 PM last night. The last time I bought a guitar online that I was taking a chance on liking it was before I retired and was making a bunch of overtime. I'm glad to say I rolled the dice and won. The Wenge neck is wonderful. It needs no finish so it's nice and smooth and looks great. The nut is cut perfect, i.e. as deep as possible without causing buzz. I normally have to do that myself. Has a soft V Clapton style profile feel. It's surprisingly light, so much so it's a bit neck heavy despite the big body, but my old "Heads-Up" weighted guitar strap took care of that. Biggest surprise was the sound. It sound great. This is the best sounding single sized humbucker I've played including the Duncan in my Flaxwood Hybrid, but I think it's more the combination of everything. So, how does this odd
(but very cool IMHO) shape guitar feel?. When I first slung it on it reminded me of the first time I slung on a Flying V and was surprised at how comfy it felt. Also, even though it's a great design and made from birchwood, I took off the pickguard and decided I like it better without it. The walnut finish is too nice to hide.
Pics without the pickguard please!

These pics were taken by the builder before it shipped. If Mr. Shakey Hands (me) took a pic it'll be a blur. The photo of the back of the guitar should give you an idea.

I don't recall ever seeing that model name before - the Ovation Breadwinner is the one I'm familiar with. Look like variations on the same theme...
Yes, and I'm not at all familiar with any differences between the two.
I can only recall seeing two professional guitarists playing them in the 70's: Glen Campbell and the guitarist from ABBA.

Yes, and I'm not at all familiar with any differences between the two.
I can only recall seeing two professional guitarists playing them in the 70's: Glen Campbell and the guitarist from ABBA.
The Deacon is the same guitar with better cosmetics.

Last edited:
Man, I am getting addictive to this body shape. I contacted the builder to see if he could make me a body with a humbucker route and a trem that I could throw one of my Warmoth necks onto (the neck has Fender specs). Unfortunately he's retired for good.

We have a makeover. After playing this guitar exclusively since I got it, I couldn't resist putting on one of my favorite Warmoth necks on it. Now I feel like I have a Custom Made Signature Model Breadwinner. Btw Kodak Pix Pro FZ53 D91E8726-3CCA-45F1-A26E-162DE60AFF10_1_201_a.jpegcameras are shit.

Back
Top Bottom