Impedence / speaker question

Unrelated Fractal question: 67 super reverb (2 ohm) > weber z matcher > UA Ox (4 ohm) > back into 4 x 10" speakers (at attenuated volume/room - ox 4ohm to speakers wired 2ohm) - also sending ox output to DAW

Before actually setting this up and trying it out, I want to make sure that I'm not going to harm or degrade the vintage speakers in the super reverb. I want to be able to record the ox output to DAW, but also play live through the speakers at attenuated volume. My intuition says that because it's at an attenuated volume and not really driving the speakers —this ohm mismatch wouldn't be harmful. Been wrong before.

As long as you have a proper load on the amp, which is sounds like you would with the Weber Z matcher, it should be ok. If you are feeding an attenuated signal to the speakers at a lower volume, they should be ok with the mismatch on that end.

If you wanted to be extra safe, you could also rewire the speakers to an 8 ohm total load (from full parallel to series-parallel or parallel-series) and switch the Z matcher output and OX to 8 ohms for a proper match. Just make sure you don't connect the 8 ohm wired speakers directly back to amp then without first rewiring it back to full parallel for 2 ohms total.

Thought I had notifications for replies on, just saw your response. Thanks for your reply and it confirms the info my amp tech gave me as well.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom