iMac Music Library > FM9?

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
Likely have heard this bantered about before...how does one connect their iMac Music Library > FM9 > FRFR108s so that one can play backing tracks/cover tunes from the Music Library thru the FM9?

My current setup connects the FM9 directly to my iMac, and my Focusrite Clarett normally feeds my JBL LSR 308s, so it may not even be necessary to involve the Clarett at all.

How might one route part of their audio path through both the Clarett and FM9? (so that audio is piped through both JBL LSR 308s and the FM9 that feeds the HR FRFR108s.)

Please direct me to the correct FM9 parameter on the front panel (am guessing its I/O's) and walk me through any iMac configs within Audio/Midi...your help is appreciated...

You'll find instructions for connecting your FM9 to a computer here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

But, normally, the only thing you need in order to do what you're asking is to connect the computer to the FM9 with a usb cable. Set your output device to the FM9 and you'll hear computer audio on output 1.

I don't understand the second part of your question. Having the output coming out of two different speaker systems simultaneously is usually undesirable.

You'll find instructions for connecting your FM9 to a computer here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

But, normally, the only thing you need in order to do what you're asking is to connect the computer to the FM9 with a usb cable. Set your output device to the FM9 and you'll hear computer audio on output 1.

I don't understand the second part of your question. Having the output coming out of two different speaker systems simultaneously is usually undesirable.
Thanks. No worries about the 2nd part of the question; was just wondering if it would be wise to connect both my FRFRs and my JBLs...if I read correctly, within my iMac System Settings > Sound it's possible to select the FM9 as my sound engine, not my Clarett? No modifications required with Utilities > Audio/Midi?

Thanks. No worries about the 2nd part of the question; was just wondering if it would be wise to connect both my FRFRs and my JBLs...if I read correctly, within my iMac System Settings > Sound it's possible to select the FM9 as my sound engine, not my Clarett? No modifications required with Utilities > Audio/Midi?
I'm assuming the FM9 works as the Axe 3...then it's quite easy. I was just doing this today on my mac. I have my Axe fx running direct to my CLR's (FRFR) and another OUT going through my Apollo which also feed into my CLR's via a different input there. Main thing is setting your FM9 as your audio interface from your mac settings. Key is in whatever preset(s) you are using to have 'Input USB' block inserted. I have mine right before the last block feeding Out. In my case I'm even using my Apollo console mixer to adjust levels while using Axe fx USB as the main sound source if that makes sense

Last edited:

That's right. I'd highly recommend reading the instructions for configuration #1. That will explain everything you need to know about doing this. Even if you'll eventually progress to one of the more advanced configurations, it's always a good idea to get your feet wet with the simplest setup.

There's no need to edit presets or add In USB blocks, even if you want a secondary output.

Last edited:
oh yeah. Disregard what I said. @GlennO is right. I was thinking about a specific scenario that I've been occupied with using Looper and USB input.

@GlennO,

This is what I'm hoping will work. (I didn't see this config in your Axe Musicians link)

All connections are USB except for XLRs to FRFRs and speakers, and duh instrument cable for guitar...

4fOf5LB.jpg

If you want computer audio to go to the FRFR, that's configuration #1.

If you want computer audio to go to the JBL's, that's a variation on configuration #1 where you use the Clarett as your computer's system audio device instead of the FM9.

As you surmised, you don't really need the Clarett for this.

If you want computer audio to go to the FRFR, that's configuration #1.

If you want computer audio to go to the JBL's, that's a variation on configuration #1 where you use the Clarett as your computer's system audio device instead of the FM9.

As you surmised, you don't really need the Clarett for this.
Thanks. It'll be a day or 2 before I can check this out. Thanks for your assistance.

You don’t need more than the iMac, the Fm9 and your frfr.

I jit’s own an fm3 but it must be the same thing.

Guitar > Fm9 (usb to mac) > frfr on the fm9
On the fm9 : see pic 1F4A0949-7112-488C-AAAF-13E1B5168874.jpeg
On the Mac choose fm9 as sound source.

Then adjust the volume on the mac or in the i/o>usb menu.

Hope that helps and hope I understood what you wanted lol.

Back
Top Bottom