iMAC Levels - Can't control Volume???

IanJF

Hi All,

I have read Yek's post about clipping etc. I just have a slightly different question please...
I currently have my Axe FX2 connected via USB to my iMAC.

The iMAC is set to use the AXE as it's main Audio Input and Output.... (At present I am only using M-Audio Computer speakers, currently waiting on ADAM A7X monitors to be delivered.
The AXE is set as Main Input not to USB so I just monitor the iMAC via the AXE - All good so far....

Sometimes When I play backing tracks on my iMAC they seem to Clip a little and sometimes the Red Clip light comes on.... Now the issue I have is that I cannot lower my overall iMAC volume.
I can lower individual application volumes and that sorts everything fine.... Is there anyway I can reduce the overall volume coming from the MAC into the AXE so I can play the likes of backing tracks etc, via QuickTime and iTunes etc at full
volume without causing the AXE to clip????

I notice also, that usually my guitar volume is a lot lower than the Computer volume.
Can usually sort this out though by using the AMP Block Level parameter...

Thanks for any help...
Ian.

On your iMac, have you tried System Preferences > Sound > and lowering the Output Volume setting? I'm guessing you are dealing with something more complex, but I thought I'd throw this out there. I use an interface between my iMac and monitors that has a volume knob, but before that, I used to use the little white remote control that came with the iMac to control the volume. :)

I think the imac global volume control as controlled by the volume buttons on the keyboard is reduntant when the axe 2 is connected. I suggest you make do with adjusting the volume within the application. I usually run itunes with the volume a few notches below maximum.

On the Mac, if you have a Digital output device (like the Axe-FX II USB), you have no control using the Mac's volume controls - in fact, they are usually greyed out.

As the OP said, your best luck will be from controlling the volume at the application level (i.e.: iTunes volume control; Logic's master; etc.).

Regarding your guitar's volume being low, that is a function of the Axe. Adjust your volume there using Output Level 1 and the preset (amp level, etc.)*. Once again, the Mac gives you zero control over digital I/O, which is what the USB input is.

* This MAY not be true for USB in - I use an analog in feed for mine. It will be very apparent whether Output 1 affects it or not.

Pete

P.S. If you need me to try the USB in path, let me know - I'd be happy to.

MACs lock the volume at maximum when you connect an audio interface. Its the same for firewire and USB. You just have to lower the volume setting in each application. Find a suitable balance between your guitar sound and BT and then turn up the output on the AxeFx.

Guys, thanks very much for the answers... Sorry I'm only getting back now, I thought I would be notified of new posts, but I guess I didn't have it enabled!!!

Yes the MAC Greys out the Volume Controls alright, so that makes sense what you say above. So is it normal that I see a few RED CLIP lights when playing tunes via Apps etc.
If I am not mistaking, doesn't the RED CLIP light on the AXE come on just as the volume approaches 0dB??? So technically it might not actually be clipping...

As I mentioned my M-Audio Speakers do not seem up to the job of running this setup, I am waiting on the ADAM A7x Monitors to be delivered (hopefully tomorrow) - so if they arrive I will try all again and update my post.

Yes I was able to get much better volume and balance from my Guitar Sounds and Mac sounds by raising the AMP Block Volume etc.... Just need the speakers to perform correctly....
So hopefully I will be back with great reviews and all issues sorted with the new Monitors etc...

Cheers,
Ian.

Just a quick update to this thread.... I finally got the Adam A7x Monitors and that made all the difference. Much better performance and sound.
Still find I have to play around with the MAC App Volumes and Blending the Axe and Skype etc, can be a bit tricky...
I was wondering if maybe a small 1U little Mixer might not go a miss, and mix the Axe and the MAC through it separately straight out to the monitors.... That might make life easier.
Could also be a bit of overkill though!!!

Rgds,
Ian.

I'm currently using the setup you're describing above with my iMac and Axe into a Behringer 4 channel mixer into twin Adam A7X's. Very happy with it overall though I have to turn Outputs 1 and 2 way down on the Axe to 7 or 8 o'clock to prevent clipping on the board. Never had clipping issues with the iMac channel though it may have to do with the fact I'm connecting the iMac via USB and Axe with XLRs.

I'm currently using the setup you're describing above with my iMac and Axe into a Behringer 4 channel mixer into twin Adam A7X's. Very happy with it overall though I have to turn Outputs 1 and 2 way down on the Axe to 7 or 8 o'clock to prevent clipping on the board. Never had clipping issues with the iMac channel though it may have to do with the fact I'm connecting the iMac via USB and Axe with XLRs.

Hi NorCal - thanks for that info. So you currently have the Axe and the iMAC plugged into a 4 channel Mixer. Does the Mixer then connect to the Adam Monitors via XLR Cables??
What model Behringer are you using??? You are connecting the Mac via USB (to the Axe obviously) - so do you not blend the MAC Audio Output into the Mixer instead of getting MAC audio via Axe???

Thanks,
Ian.

IanJF - sorry for the super delayed reply! I'm actually connecting the iMac to the Behringer via USB2 for audio and separately running the Axe into channels 1 and 2 via XLR then running the mixer to the Adams with XLRs. Im also running my Roland RD 700 keyboard into the mixer on XLR Channels 3 and 4 and the great thing about this setup (and all mixers for that matter) is I never have to swap out cables depending on what I feel like playing. I'll have to check on the behringer model when I get home, but I picked it up at guitar center for around $150.

IanJF - sorry for the super delayed reply! I'm actually connecting the iMac to the Behringer via USB2 for audio and separately running the Axe into channels 1 and 2 via XLR then running the mixer to the Adams with XLRs. Im also running my Roland RD 700 keyboard into the mixer on XLR Channels 3 and 4 and the great thing about this setup (and all mixers for that matter) is I never have to swap out cables depending on what I feel like playing. I'll have to check on the behringer model when I get home, but I picked it up at guitar center for around $150.

Hi Norcal,

That sounds really cool actually, I didn't realise you could get the Mixers with a USB Input for the Computer, nice one. Must look at those Mixers so :)
Yes it sounds like a nice setup alright, I'd say it gives you nice control/mix of your sounds and volume levels.
Is it a Rack Mixer you have or a normal flat one, what model is it if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks again,
Ian.

No problem at all - it's a Behringer XENIX X1622 USB. Yes the USB input for the computer is nice as it frees up 4 instrument/mic channels. And the cables for connecting the mixer to the
Adams are 1/4" on one end (for the mixer to XLR on the other end for going into the Adams. I use Mogamis

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351726415.939053.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351726464.370041.jpg

No problem at all - it's a Behringer XENIX X1622 USB. Yes the USB input for the computer is nice as it frees up 4 instrument/mic channels. And the cables for connecting the mixer to the
Adams are 1/4" on one end (for the mixer to XLR on the other end for going into the Adams. I use Mogamis

Nice one mate, that looks cool alright...
I was looking on the Web at these, and I saw the 8 channel version of this, also looks very cool.

But the only questions I have and I couldn't see an answer on the Behringer site also is:

Is there a slider or a control knob which allows you to control the volume level of the USB Feed coming into your mixer from the Computer like the Mackie Mixers have???
Are you happy with the overall sound quality you are getting from this setup???

Thanks again for everything...
Ian.

Hey Ian
I'm very happy with the overall sound quality. Top notch. Not sure about if there is a knob for adjusting USB input volume levels though. I usually just adjust the iMac level into the mixer from the computer itself
Cheers
Nik

I have the exact same situation here. W/ the iMac and Adams monitors. What is the best cable to connect the Adams to the iMac....I'm supposing a USB to RCA...but just want to make sure...or and brand names you guys trust for cables?

Thanks,
Kyle

Back
Top Bottom