iMac Computer Volume

Jerry K.

Experienced
I have an iMac (updated to latest OS) that I use my apple Bluetooth keyboard to control the volume for all computer audio, I have used this capability for years. I just noticed that the keyboard will still control the mute but the capability to control the volume has gone away as long as my Axe III is connected and powered on? I looked in the iMac's set-up menu and don't see a way to fix this. Also, my Axe III is updated to the latest Firmware (24.04). Any ideas on how to get the ability to control my computer's volume via the apple keyboard to return with the Axe III powered on?

Not the fractal itself but I have a Motu 1248 that the Axe III is connected to and I can control its volume. Also, I should be able to control the computer sound levels via the keyboard and as long the Axe III is powered and connected via USB, that capability disappears? When I power the Axe down, all of the computer functionality returns and works as expected. Nothing has changed on my system and I just noticed this issue today.

It’s annoying but that’s the correct behavior for a digital audio device connected to a computer. The computer and audio device become one virtual audio device and the output level should be controlled at the output of audio device. Audio interfaces that have drivers can override this behavior.

However, there are third party solutions like Soundsource that you can use to get keyboard control over audio volume.

If you look at the audio devices, what are the input and output devices when the AxeFx is powered up? Maybe you need to make sure the input and output devices is the MotU?

Additionally, I have a FM3 connected via USB and if I only power it the ability to control the computer volume from the keyboard returns. Before I noticed this today, I could control the computers volume via the keyboard with both the Axe III snd the FM3 powered on and connected.

Additionally, I have a FM3 connected via USB and if I only power it the ability to control the computer volume from the keyboard returns. Before I noticed this today, I could control the computers volume via the keyboard with both the Axe III snd the FM3 powered on and connected.
They’re separate devices and behave and are controlled separately. One doesn’t affect the other.

The same loss of output volume on the Mac occurs when sending output to a Scarlet attached via USB.

Back
Top Bottom