III and FM3 or FM9 and FM3?

Random Hero

Inspired
Thinking it might make more sense to have a III and FM3 for small gigs rather than a 9 and 3 both sort of rotating.

Obviously the 9 is more capable than the 3 but paired with a MIDI controller and the gapless switching, the gap isn’t maybe as big as it was?

What say you?

For small gigs I use either the FM9 or the FM3. My FX3 tends to stay at home because packing, carrying and setting up the FM units is easier. The FX3+FC12 takes space on the stage I prefer to not use up.

If I was on big stages and had a rolling rack to house the FX3 then I'd use that unit primarily.

Keep in mind that the FM3, FM9, and Axe III will not sound identical due to physical (components) and software differences. They're about 98% the same, assuming all of the available parameters on the FM units are set the same as the ones on the Axe III, but again, there are some settings on the Axe III that simply don't exist on the FM units that can affect how it feels and sounds. Somehwere there's a list of these differences. It may or may not make any difference to you, but it does to me. I cannot take a preset from my Axe III and use it on my FM3 and expect it to feel and sound the same - again, it's  nearly identical, but not entirely.

My advice would be to get two of the same unit, whichever you choose. If you can abide the nuanced differences, then I'd get the flagship for home and the FM9 for gigs if your presets or switching needs are more extensive, or the FM3 if they're not. Really, you can't go wrong any way you go.

Keep in mind that the FM3, FM9, and Axe III will not sound identical due to physical (components) and software differences. They're about 98% the same, assuming all of the available parameters on the FM units are set the same as the ones on the Axe III, but again, there are some settings on the Axe III that simply don't exist on the FM units that can affect how it feels and sounds. Somehwere there's a list of these differences. It may or may not make any difference to you, but it does to me. I cannot take a preset from my Axe III and use it on my FM3 and expect it to feel and sound the same - again, it's  nearly identical, but not entirely.

My advice would be to get two of the same unit, whichever you choose. If you can abide the nuanced differences, then I'd get the flagship for home and the FM9 for gigs if your presets or switching needs are more extensive, or the FM3 if they're not. Really, you can't go wrong any way you go.
Thanks.

I thought the algorithms were only different in the FM3 whereas the FM9 were the same?

FX III for live and rehearsal. FM3 for adjusting sound settings at home and small gigs with the band 🤘🏻
And you have a perfect small B Rig. FM3 with or without FC6 or FC12

I have a III that is mounted in a rolling rack with my mixer and wireless for both guitar and in ears, and picked up an FM9 for potential use at smaller gigs or a backup for the III. Then we had my duet partner join the band and I set up the FM9 with three scenes for her to use for rhythm guitar. I'm considering picking up an FM3 for her to use and just using the FM9 and my smaller Allen and Heath mixer for most of the tiny stages we play around here and just use the AFX for bigger shows where we have room.

Really the one thing holding me back on that is that I use Global blocks way too much to have the FM9 or FM3 work as a main rig for me. YMMV

Thanks.

I thought the algorithms were only different in the FM3 whereas the FM9 were the same?
Someone else can confirm or deny that about the FM9; I haven’t bought the FM9 yet; I’ve only used my friend’s and haven’t had the chance to compare each parameter like I can do with the III/FM3.

I went with a IIIT and FM3T. I use the FM3T at work on my tech bench and for my backups and some rehearsals. The III is for live, rehearsals and recording.

Many differences. There are other threads denoting the same topic. I'd get 2 fm9s. Then you know they're the same.

Lifelong Tube amp Marshall Stack guy. Switched to AxeFX3 only 12 months ago. Honestly it is the best thing I have ever done. I am currently looking for a second hand FM3 as a backup unit. I can set my FC12 to control all I need in the FM3. Having a FM3 as a backup/redundancy is cheap, it doesnt take up much room and if the AXE fails the show will still go on.
I know that the FM9 will do more and yes I run presets with 2 amp blocks so the sounds wont be exactly the same but I dont want to lug another heavy ass AXE in and out of gigs just as a redundancy.
You do what is best for you. For me it will be the FM3 as a redundancy.

I already have a III but I'm thinking of getting an FM9 for portability. While I think an FM3 would suffice, I would appreciate the additional capabilities and routing of the 9.

Back
Top Bottom