IIC++ amp question

LCW

@FractalAudio -

Looking up the classic Flemming Rasmussen notes and referring to pictures of James' actual IIC+(+) amp...

How is the Treble 'Pull Shift' interpreted on the Fractal model? The real amp has the treble pull shift and and a pull bright on the Lead Master.

I assume 'Pull Deep' is the Fat Switch?

Lastly, how is Master 1 and Lead Master done in the amp model?

http://fwrproduction.com/FWR_Produktion/Notes_1.html#2

https://www.metallicagearhistory.com/post/mesa-boogie-crunchberries-amp

SSS Notes Battery.jpg

17b14b_3c3e3df5bafa4fe39a035fc7ca95f70e~mv2.png

IIC++ FM9.jpg

Yes Pull Deep is Fat switch. Treble pulled is the Bright switch.

Not sure about the pull bright on the Master.
Very confusing lol. Wonder if there’s some legal reasons for not having the exact physical amp controls and naming.

There’s actually two pull bright settings - on on volume 1 for Rhythm channel I guess. Then there’s the one on the Lead Master.

Pull Deep does not have an equivalent switch in the Fractal model. Nor does Pull Bright on the Lead Master knob. That's why there's separate USA IIC+ Bright and Deep models in the list.

The Fat switch in the models is the equivalent of Pull Shift on the Treble knob of the amp. It quadruples the bright cap value for more treble and midrange gain.

The Bright switch in the model is the equivalent of Pull Bright on the Volume 1 knob of the amp.

There's only one master volume control in the model that likely works like the Master 1 knob on the amp. Since the rhythm channel is not modeled, there's no need for a separate Lead Master control.

From the Wiki about the USA IIC++ model - "This is not a model of Hetfield's own 'crunchberries' amp, nor a model of a IIC+ with the IIC++ mod. It's the IIC+ model with different tapers.

Last edited:
There’s actually two pull bright settings - on on volume 1 for Rhythm channel I guess. Then there’s the one on the Lead Master.

Pull Bright on the Volume 1 knob is the traditional bright cap across the first gain control. It affects both channels of the amp. Pull Bright on the Lead Master knob works differently and is located in the Lead channel's gain stages later in the circuit. It only affects the Lead channel.

Reactions: LCW
From the Wiki about the USA IIC++ model - "This is not a model of Hetfield's own 'crunchberries' amp, nor a model of a IIC+ with the IIC++ mod. It's the IIC+ model with different tapers.
Where do I find this wiki?

And which model would be nearest Crunchberries? Seems misleading to call the IIC++ that way in the Fractal world.

From what I've read online, Crunchberries is suposedly a stock 1985 IIC+ long head DG model (Simul-Class w/ the graphic EQ), not a IIC++, but I don't know if that has ever been fully confirmed. Your best bet for that would likely be the USA IIC+ Deep model given the pulled Master 1 knob indicated above. Crunchberries has the old style faceplate of the earlier Mark II models showing Pull Boost on the Master 1 knob, but the circuit is actually the Pull Deep a factory IIC+ would have.

That said, the IIC++ model was apparently requested by Metallica's techs for their use live, so take that into consideration as well.

In the end you'll just have to use your ears and dial it in to taste.

Reactions: LCW
Thanks for the all the info @mr_fender ! Much appreciated! I did two presets just now, one with with IIC+ Deep and one with the IIC++. On my JBL monitors, the IIC++ sounds better (more clarity). I'll try them tomorrow with my power amp & cab.

Definitely preferring the IIC++ over the IIC+ Deep...

Quick test clip... fumbling my way with GarageBand. Doubled the track. Added a bit of post reverb.

Back
Top Bottom