If you had to choose a Tele or a Strat..

I'm personally biased towards the Tele, since I prefer the simpler, 2 pickup setup w/ a hardtail. I never use trems on any guitar and just prefer the stability. Telecasters to me are more of a "grab it and go without worry" style guitar, especially if you have a good one.

Plus, as has been mentioned before, the Tele bridge pickup is hard to beat, and you can go from chime to chunk with minimal effort, especially when using it with the Axe Fx. That said, I tend to play with more gain and like the combination of thickness and brightness a Tele gives in that context, but neck and Neck/bridge together sound great to me for cleans and edge of breakup. I know there's plenty of people that hate the classic Tele neck pickup sound and want something more "stratty" in the neck position, but I'm one of the crazy people that actually prefer a (good) Tele-style neck pickup.

Overall though, I'm firmly a Les Paul guy, so that could also explain my strong preference for the Tele. They scratch a similar itch. I dig the Strat-style guitars I currently have, but I went a long time without owning one and didn't really miss them. The Tele though? That I would miss.

Back
Top Bottom