IEM and the Axe-Fx

Dday

Anyone here using IEM's with your Axe? What's your opinion? I'm having mixed results with mine (UE7's and AT M3), sound-wise. They're on the thin side when I use them live (FOH eq set flat), but sound fine with my Ipod or laptop. Any advice would be appreciated!

I don't have any more or less problems/concern/issues/downsides using them with the Axe-FX than I had with using them with real amps isolated or run through dummy loads and speaker sims.

You can't really compare the way they sound with mixed and mastered audio from your computer to the way they sound with live, raw monitoring feeds. It just isn't the same deal and won't sound the same.

Playing with in-ears is a mixed bag. I vastly prefer playing a normal stage with reasonable stage volume (even really low stage volume for that matter), but I still have to play in-ears gigs more than half the time. You just have to learn to adjust to it when you have to play that way.

D

I use Atrio Future Sonics and usually run a split from the monitor feed to one side and the Axe to the other and blend to taste on the receiver. One thing I like about the Atrios is they are pretty rich sounding on the low end but still maintain clarity.

I've been using the Sennheiser IE4 units (@$60.00 US dollars)for two years untill last Saturday when the left side connection gave out.

Cord issue.
Finished the night with our soundman's ear buds. Noticable difference, but hey - that's R&R.
Running stereo using a Samson 4 channel stereo headphone amp to wireless IEM transmitter. Able to dial in vocal monitors to taste and be as loud as I want with the Axe in full stereo glory. Never had it better. Two 4X12 cabs make great furniture.

IEM's are a matter of trial and error for us all. I started on the less expensive side and frankly stayed there and I've found that the simple knowledge of proper IEM placement in the ear canal is crucial - unless you go for the form fit molded variety. Placement regulates isolation vs. bass response.

Forgot to mention I'm deaf in one ear(cranial tumor surgery took it out), so I have just the left side. The UE7 is custom molded, but I still get a little stage bleed. I'm guessing eq-ing or the new ambient feature that UE offers would help with the bass response and a more natural feel. All it takes is money.
Thanks for the input guys.

Back
Top Bottom