IEM and Guitar Wireless Users - Best Placement to Prevent Interference?

CodePoet

Fractal Fanatic
I'm currently using a rack at the back of the stage that has both my IEM transmitter (Shure PSM 300) and wireless guitar receiver (Shure QLX-D) in it. After recently upgrading my guitar wireless from a Line 6 G50, the guitar wireless is fantastic - great coverage, no dropouts. But I think the receiver antennas are interfering with the IEM transmitter antenna, based on what I read and my experience of IEM dropouts recently. Currently the receiver antennas (which are 1/2 wave) and IEM transmitter antenna (which is 1/4 wave) are mounted on the front of the rack, so they're all right together.

How do you have your wireless receiver and IEM transmitter antennas arranged so prevent interference? Would moving the IEM transmitter antenna to the back of the rack be enough to help, or do I need to break out the IEM transmitter to it's own rack or perhaps put it in my floorboard setup at the front of the stage to keep it away from the wireless receiver? Just wondering what you guys do - thanks!

I see on the Shure Wireless Accessory Wizard, they offer a scenario to remote-mount the IEM transmitter antenna to a mic stand - that would allow you to place it farther away. Anyone done this?

1678039018551.png

We try to separate wireless devices as far as possible. My guitar receiver is in the rack box with my AxeFX. Depending on the stage that might either be on an amp stand behind me, where a traditional amp and cab would go. Or it might be off-stage to the side. I keep a guitar cable on top of the rack box in case I need to swap.

We use a Behringer X18. It provides our IEM mixes, and a FOH mix because we normally use our own PA. The X18 sits in front of the drummer where a snake box would sit. It is several meters away from my rack box. Two IEM transmitters, plus our singer’s wireless mic receiver, sit above the X18. We run them on different frequency bands, and don’t get any interference.

Drummer and keys use wired IEMs. Our bass player has an IEM transmitter on his mic stand as @CodePoet describes. His is the only device which gives us problems, possibly because it’s “domestic” quality rather than “professional”.

Our band wifi transmitter, which we use to control the X18, sits several metres away from the X18 to minimise the risk of interference.

The last thing to mention that we use UK frequency bands, which are different to those used in the USA.

We keep it separate. Guitar wireless is with my axe fx , while the IEM transmitters are racked along with a M32 monitor mixer.

I had two gigs where my Shure Psm300 was spotty with drop outs. Got the mipro909 and didn’t have to do anything fancy it just works better for me

I see on the Shure Wireless Accessory Wizard, they offer a scenario to remote-mount the IEM transmitter antenna to a mic stand - that would allow you to place it farther away. Anyone done this?
I don't use this fancy gadget, but I absolutely mount my IEM transmitter antenna on a mic stand. Makes a big difference.
If your band has more IEM transmitters, think about spending the money for an antenna combiner. Makes things so much simpler, and depending on the model, might also provide power to the individual transmitters, getting rid of all the wall warts.

I have three in ear systems racked and wired to an antenna combiner. One Omni directional antenna mounted on a mic stand. My bassist and I use the Shure GLXD pedalboard wireless units. I have my in ear receiver clipped to my back pocket and guitar transmitter clipped to my strap. I make sure the in ear antenna is in front of the drum kit. Other then that never an issue.

I don't use this fancy gadget, but I absolutely mount my IEM transmitter antenna on a mic stand. Makes a big difference.
If your band has more IEM transmitters, think about spending the money for an antenna combiner. Makes things so much simpler, and depending on the model, might also provide power to the individual transmitters, getting rid of all the wall warts.
Yup, mine provides power to each unit through the antenna cables.

Weirdly, I have my IEM transmitter and Guitar receiver right next to each other on my pedalboard and never get any dropouts. I use Sennheiser G4 portable systems where the transmitters and receivers are both in the same kind of belt pack format chassis, so the antenna are all whip style and laying horizontal next to each other on the board. I was contemplating modifying them to install removable antenna, but really haven’t needed to.

-Aaron

Back
Top Bottom