Identify this effect

Jipps0525

Power User
Just heard a song from this artist randomly on the gym radio. Listened to a few more tunes and I think they’re pretty cool. But what effect is he using for his lead tone on the song linked below? He uses it for leads on a lot of his other tunes too.

Go to around 2:10 for the solo. Is it a chorus or rotary of some sort?

To me the solo sounds like a fuzz with a distinct decay in the timbre that gets the pseudo-modulation effect on the last couple of held notes. I've had fuzzes that do that more than others. A friend is his regular second guitar on tour, so I'll see if I can find out for you.

I'm not sure what you're trying to identify(?) but it sounds like the lead guitar you're referring to has it's mix panned on both sides, with one of those volume levels being significantly lower than the other and also modulated, if this is what you might be asking about. If so, I did this very thing in my latest recording I submitted to the forum's recording section (a Collective Soul cover).
For the solo, I recorded my lead guitar track and copied a duplicate it in my DAW (Reaper). I panned one of them to the left side at around 10:00 o'clock and the other track panned full right with the volume significantly lowered. Then this right sided track had a pitch-shift (one octave up) added in Reaper to give it a slightly fuzzy/gritty effect, almost like an MXR Blue Box. My recorded example would be a little more pronounced than what might be heard in the song you're talking about.
You might try it?

Last edited:
Yeah, it seems the solo is mostly a higher gain sound with some creative use of panning and stereo placement in the studio along with some very high quality reverb and/or delay and other miscellaneous expansion type FX/plugins that gets wetter on the last bits of the solo phrases. It also sounds like the ending of the phrases is him and some distinct vibrato with his hands. Other than that I don’t hear anything specifically special on the solo.

Back
Top Bottom