Ideas for using expression pedals...

johnnyg88

Hey guys!

I have a few questions in regards to how to use an expression pedal. I'm just starting to dig into this aspect of the Axe FX so bear with me!

I was looking at getting a Mission Engineering SP1 without the spring load option, as I wasn't that curious about the auto engage feature. However, I ran into a killer deal for a used SP1-R with LED and Spring Load, so I went for it.

Auto Engage for wah is pretty cool! Still getting used to the little "Off" zone at the bottom of the pedal's travel. I have it set to MED and Off Value at 5%, but I'm finding that it disengages a bit too quickly. Still experimenting there.

Now, what would one use the switch for if auto engage is set for the wah? If I move the pedal to hit the switch, I'm going to have some wah action on the way up right?

I have the Mission pedal going into the Pedal 1/2 inputs on my Ground Control Pro. On the side, I have an Ernie Ball VP Jr. going into the Pedal 1 input on the back of the Axe Fx. I want to use this for non auto engage things like Volume Level, or FX Level/Rate.

Is it possible to setup a pedal to have multiple functions within one preset?

I have a preset that has Wah with auto engage, Phaser (in UniVibe mode) and Delay. Obviously, my Spring Loaded Mission pedal controls the wah. Would it be possible to have the Ernie Ball control the Delay level and somehow the Phase rate, but separately? Is there a way to do this in combination with my Spring Loaded Mission pedal and its switch? Or do I need to compromise here?

I can see having a patch dedicated to "volume swells", for example, and the Spring Loaded Mission pedal can control the swells and maybe the Ernie Ball can control FX level or rate.

How do you guys have your expression pedals setup? I need some ideas! I never thought having this kind of control at my feet could be so helpful. An expression pedal totally helps with making on the fly changes to FX levels in different rooms. SO convenient!

Thanks for any advice!

jg

You could set the off value to 95% so switch use wouldn't require engaging wah. The switch could be just about anything but the best use might be what you'd need at the very start/end or within a section of wah, like going from clean (no wah) to dist. & wah quickly.

There are various ways to change what the pedal does (or more accurately, which effects are heard) in a preset. Here's some info:
Yeks How Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

For the delay/phaser question: delay could be switched off or forced to a pre-determined mix level (with a routing trick or two) while phaser is engaged w/ pedal controlling rate. Then when phaser's off, pedal could control delay level. Is that similar to what you'd want?

Thanks man! I wasn't even aware there was a whole section in the AxeWiki with this info. That wiki is killer. I'll keep experimenting!

Thanks again

jg

How do you guys have your expression pedals setup? I need some ideas! I never thought having this kind of control at my feet could be so helpful. An expression pedal totally helps with making on the fly changes to FX levels in different rooms. SO convenient!

Thanks for any advice!

jg

Aside from the obvious- Wah, Volume... I like to use it to control gain in some amp sims, morph between a synth sound and an amp tone really cool stuff there. Delay time and repeat is another good one to play with as well as Reverb mix. The sky's the limit really, where ever there is a place to use a modifier try one and see how you can use it.

Back
Top Bottom