Can I change a global EQ setting on my FX3 just by pressing a switch on my FC-12? (Trying to solve a Fishman Fluence pickup challenge)

Marcel

Inspired
I usually bring 4 guitars to gigs along with my FX3. The guitars have either high gain passives or active EMG-81's. My FX3 is dialed in to handle either seamlessly so I don't have to change any settings when switching guitars. It really helps that these passive/active have a similar output. Recently I bought a guitar that has a Fishman Fluence Modern in the bridge. I did not expect the tonal and output difference of this pickup relative to what I already have. By design these pickups are more neutral without the lower end bump that my other pickups have. It's really a completely different type of output compared to the others and yes I have played around with the different voicings.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to deal with this in a live situation where I switch to the guitar with the Fishman Fluence. I have over 120 presets that are automatically changed via MIDI during the performance. I think what I need is some sort of a block (possibly EQ) to boost the low end of the Fluence pickups somewhere in the chain to make it sound and perform more like my other guitars. I assume this would have to set globally so it stays enabled across all presets so that I only have to change it once. For example, when I pickup the Fluence guitar I'll press one of the switches on the FC-12 labeled "Fluence" so that all my presets will now include this block to change the tone.

Open to any ideas on different approaches.

Last edited:
The amp´s input EQ is great for those, but since you need the presets to be multifunctional, you can engage a graphic or peq pre-amp to cut/boost the freqs you need, and then assign that block to a switch. Pesonally I´d have a couple Fluence specific presets, copying your already done presets, and then tayloring the input eq on the amp block.

The amp´s input EQ is great for those, but since you need the presets to be multifunctional, you can engage a graphic or peq pre-amp to cut/boost the freqs you need, and then assign that block to a switch. Pesonally I´d have a couple Fluence specific presets, copying your already done presets, and then tayloring the input eq on the amp block.

Thanks for the reply. A challenge I have is that I can't have Fishman specific presets because when I play live all my presets and scene changes are done via automation in Logic. I can't change the MIDI assignments in Logic in the middle of a set.

I think what I need is a global way to configure some sort of setting on the FX3 to "Fishman mode". My fallback plan is to place an old-school MXR EQ guitar pedal on my rack between the guitar wireless output and the FX3 input. I'd simply switch it on or off when I change guitars. However I'd hate to do that because my FX3 is offstage in a rack and not easily accessible. Also, it goes against the purpose of having the FX3 to begin with. Another idea is to use the FX3 global EQ and just boost the frequencies I need using the perform page. Once again this requires manual intervention on the unit itself which is offstage and not easily accessible.

Thanks for the reply. A challenge I have is that I can't have Fishman specific presets because when I play live all my presets and scene changes are done via automation in Logic. I can't change the MIDI assignments in Logic in the middle of a set.

I think what I need is a global way to configure some sort of setting on the FX3 to "Fishman mode". My fallback plan is to place an old-school MXR EQ guitar pedal on my rack between the guitar wireless output and the FX3 input. I'd simply switch it on or off when I change guitars. However I'd hate to do that because my FX3 is offstage in a rack and not easily accessible. Also, it goes against the purpose of having the FX3 to begin with. Another idea is to use the FX3 global EQ and just boost the frequencies I need using the perform page. Once again this requires manual intervention on the unit itself which is offstage and not easily accessible.
How about using global blocks in your presets? That way you only need to adjust the global block to set it up in all your presets.

Using an EQ block in your presets with different channels for different guitars would work. Set the EQ block to be active for all presets but set "scene ignore" and then switch between channels of the EQ block using a footswitch on the FC-12. If you don't need the EQ for some guitars then make one channel flat.

Using an EQ block in your presets with different channels for different guitars would work. Set the EQ block to be active for all presets but set "scene ignore" and then switch between channels of the EQ block using a footswitch on the FC-12. If you don't need the EQ for some guitars then make one channel flat.
Yeah but then you have to hit that footswitch every time midi or you call up a new preset.

What would really help here is a global EQ that can be controlled by footswitches, ideally an EQ with multiple channels.

Yeah but then you have to hit that footswitch every time midi or you call up a new preset.

What would really help here is a global EQ that can be controlled by footswitches, ideally an EQ with multiple channels.
Good point...I was thinking with scene ignore the channel selection for the EQ block wouldn't change but of course that is just within a single preset.

When you assign a blocks bypass to an external controller you could at least make an EQ's on/off state survive preset changes. You could also switch between two EQ blocks using one modifier inverted, so one blocks turns off when the other one turn on.

You need to send a midi cc value once to an external controller to change it's value and it will keep that value until you send a different one. Whatever you tie to that controller, it won't change on preset changes because its tied to that globally stored ext ctrl value.
In case you don't have your footcontroller with you but you need to set a value, you can change the ext ctrl start-up values in the setup menu.

That's the way I use externals for reverb, delay, filters, eqs and some other things. Works well, bit tedious for setting it up, but then it becomes like part of the system and you don't have to worry about anything.

When you assign a blocks bypass to an external controller you could at least make an EQ's on/off state survive preset changes. You could also switch between two EQ blocks using one modifier inverted, so one blocks turns off when the other one turn on.

You need to send a midi cc value once to an external controller to change it's value and it will keep that value until you send a different one. Whatever you tie to that controller, it won't change on preset changes because its tied to that globally stored ext ctrl value.
In case you don't have your footcontroller with you but you need to set a value, you can change the ext ctrl start-up values in the setup menu.

That's the way I use externals for reverb, delay, filters, eqs and some other things. Works well, bit tedious for setting it up, but then it becomes like part of the system and you don't have to worry about anything.

I think I understand but I'm not sure of the implementation. Could you share some details on how you did it with reverb?

Back
Top Bottom