I am an expecting QSC HPR 122i mother lol

rsf1977

Fractal Fanatic
just bought a used QSC HPR122i for $500 on ebay it was such a deal i couldn't say no, I can't wait.

Any tips or tricks on using it from all of you QSC seasoned users?

Just be careful it's a loud sucker. I usually set the gain to -10 and use the Axe-fx output to control volume that's usually plenty loud for any situation. Have fun!

I used to set the volume at noon and work the volume from the Axe-FX. It's LOUD so be careful if you have it aimed at your head... it could hurt you. No kidding either.

ditto the above (noon is -10), but I'll usually control the volume from my software mixer first and the Axe second (zero to around noon on the Axe)

set the low cut filter toggle however you prefer (the difference is pretty obvious to hear), possibly depending on your mounting/room/etc.

hey, when everyone talks about the dangerous/damaging clipping, is that caused by the input source (axe) output being too hot or is that caused by turning up the QSC too loud? This stuff is confusing for me lol

rsf1977 said:
hey, when everyone talks about the dangerous/damaging clipping, is that caused by the input source (axe) output being too hot or is that caused by turning up the QSC too loud? This stuff is confusing for me lol

I have no idea who has talked about 'the dangerous/damaging clipping' but it was not me. The HPR stuff has a self-limiter on it; it won't go into clipping.

My point was to not damage your hearing by playing too loud. That's no joke.

Scott Peterson said:
rsf1977 said:

I have no idea who has talked about 'the dangerous/damaging clipping' but it was not me. The HPR stuff has a self-limiter on it; it won't go into clipping.

My point was to not damage your hearing by playing too loud. That's no joke.

Oh i'm not saying anyone said this unit has a clipping issue. i just have seen people talking about "clipping" damaging their speakers so I was trying to understand what causes it exactly and how to avoid it if i can. But that's great the QSC unit protects against that. But is setting the axe output too hot a bad thing, is their a sweat spot?

are there any specific speaker stand recommendations for it too? I really only want to get it at least chest high off the ground if possible?

rsf1977 said:
are there any specific speaker stand recommendations for it too? I really only want to get it at least chest high off the ground if possible?

Yes QSC makes stands and covers for these.

geetarman said:
rsf1977 said:

Yes QSC makes stands and covers for these.

i'm trying to find them and all i seem to keep getting are "poles"? Are they called some weird names or something?

I think the QSC offerings are just the single pole that mounts into their subwoofers -- not what you want.
From the spec, you want any speaker stand/pole mount with a 35mm diameter.
I remember when I was loking (never actually bought), they were easy to find, but there wasn't a lot of selection. Think they may have been sized in inches too, instead of millimeters.
I'd also considered getting one with a crank, and if I gigged, I would have. I like overkill. Those are more expensive though.

ok so i got my QSC Speaker and hooked it up for a bedroom level test and the first thing i noticed is "Summing L + R" outputs makes things sound really bad lol. I have all mono high gain patches at the moment and i plugged in my speaker and something wasn't right. So i checked my output settings and it was on "Summing L + R" so i switched it to "Copy L to R" and bingo things were back to what i expected. I think the QSC HPR122i sounds pretty good but I'll know a little better when i get in the studio and start opening it up

ran the new QSC HPR122i last night at some higher volumes, and i have to say whoever thinks a HPR122i can't hang with a 4x12 guitar cab in the sense of loudness and tonal girth is out of their minds! First of all the QSC is capable of volumes equal too and louder then my dual recto 4x12 setup. And the low end will eat any 4x12 for breakfast it's massive and articulate and completely under control. I am going to have to revisit my patches though because I'm now hearing them loud and i hear high end stuff that is a little piercing, but overall it's an A+ for the QSC HPR122i.

I'm curious now to hear a Verve 12ma. I know it isn't as loud as the QSC HPR122i, but to be honest who is ever going to need that much headroom at a venue without having FOH support.

That was pretty much my exact opinion of the QSC when I had one. I went toe to toe many times with 100watt Marshall half stacks and never had an issue with my volume at all.

I am eager to hear what the 12ma brings to the table too.

Scott Peterson said:
That was pretty much my exact opinion of the QSC when I had one. I went toe to toe many times with 100watt Marshall half stacks and never had an issue with my volume at all.

I am eager to hear what the 12ma brings to the table too.

Yea i believe you said you have 1 coming right? I'd love to hear your thoughts on how they stack up against one another

I have one coming when it comes. I will be fully forthcoming with my opinion once I've gigged it (and we are gigging a LOT) so that won't delay my posts much. lol.

Scott Peterson said:
I have one coming when it comes. I will be fully forthcoming with my opinion once I've gigged it (and we are gigging a LOT) so that won't delay my posts much. lol.

Mr-Burns-Excellent-MF.jpg

Scott Peterson said:
That depends on whether you can find room for the 12ma on some of those stages! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom