How well does the FM3 do fuzz without variable input impedance?

sashimi

I have wanted to try a Fractal device for years and I think I’m finally going to go for it while they are on sale. I am coming from an HX stomp, which I am very happy with, but I want to see if Fractal blows it away the way everyone says it will. I prefer the form factor and price of the FM3, FM9 is just too big, and overkill for my use. I don’t do high gain, I would probably spend most of my time with Fender tweeds and blackface models, and I have heard samples of those tones in fractal that sound amazing.

I have no doubt that the FM3 will be at least as good or better than the stomp, but one area that concerns me is the lack of variable input impedance. I like using the fuzz models on the stomp, which has variable input impedance, and to me many of them sound so good that I stopped using a couple of my favorite fuzz pedals, opting for the simplicity of keeping it all in the stomp.

How well does the FM3 do fuzz? Am I going to need to start using a fuzz pedal in front of the FM3 to get the sounds I want?

I think only you will be able to answer that question about whether you need a separate fuzz pedal after trying it.
The stomp does have a lot of fuzz options, the developer must be a fuzz fanatic.
But regarding the amps and effects in general, the Fractal is absolutely wonderful.

I have tried many types of Fuzz and in many different input options. What I found that works is you need to plug into the fuzz first and then go to the FM3. Trying to put it in the effects loop sounds terrible. Currently I use the Keeley Dark Side Fuzz, and the Keeley Moon Fuzz. The Moon Fuzz is maximum level Fuzz and it works great into the FM3.

I've rarely liked any fuzz preset or external/dedicated pedal (pedals? I've bought/tried/sold tons of them) up until this latest firmware update. For my tastes, the #81 Fuzz Tweed preset sounds better than anything else I've tried for recording. I have a song in the recording section of the forum that has a song cover called, "Smashing Young Man" that is full of my fuzz use (with a Tele) that I was pleased with.
I apologize for the shameless plug for my cover tune.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom