How to simulate Marshall Plexis w/ Loudness (w/o Gain & Master Volume)

TheRedDevil

Experienced
I mainly play Plexi amps (SLP, 1987x, 1970s) in the AXEFX but I keep wondering how I can simulate the real behavior of the non-master volume amp - in AXEFX the Plexis have Master Volume & Gain. I would love to be able to hide gain and use Master Volume as Loudness.
What is the best way to proceed, set the gain to 12 o'clock or full and then only play with the master volume as replacement of Loudness or is Gain the same like Loudness and set Master Volume to full or eleven ;o) ?

Last edited:
Afaik, non-master volume amps are modelled in Axfx as amp models with the master set wide open - you can still use master volume if you want though (set it on the ideal tab to other than wide open to make it a master volume amp). The only way I know to affect amp block output loudness only (no change in compression / gain / coloration) is to use the level control.

Last edited:
That real reaction is what I was searching for. Currently I test settings with speaker compression and gain enhancer to create real AC/DC Live sound. It helps to know the amp setting basis is correct.

Last edited:
But the preamp is on 5 (Volume/Loudness1) and MV on 10 (Volume/Loudness 2) on his modded amp. This makes a big difference. Refer to my preset. But in past they used only Non-MV around 7 until 8.

Another approach to getting closer to the real thing.
Ok, besides leaving the master volume all the way up, to get started turn gain down to 0 and crank up your powerful audio system to an insanly loud level. Now start to increase the gain step by step and try to play and see if you can stand the volume. All good as long as you stay in the clean tone range, it starts to get shockingly loud when you try to get overdriven tones that way. You are getting almost unable to play and need to get used to that first. It will work after some minutes and you adapt the way you pick. Harmful for your ears though. Now that's what it is like with the real non MV marshall.
Why should you do that? You can start to derive from there and try to keep something of the original feeling. You get to different results going that route compared to always tweaking at low volumes. However, keep these sessions short, don't damage your ears.

Back
Top Bottom