How to play along with a backing track and record both in parallel in Audacity synchronous?

TheRedDevil

Experienced
I own my AXEFXIII since 1 year but I still can't manage it to play along with a backing track and record both in parallel in Audacity synchronous.

My windows PC is connected via USB (USB Output Mapping 1/2 -> Out2, 3/4 -> Out1), AXEFXIII the audio interface, I can import a MP3 file in Audacity and record my guitar in parallel with playback in Audacity (2 tracks) BUT it's always out of sync.

I used 64ms buffer in Audacity and 64 Samples in FASUSBAudio Control Panel and tried to manually optimized the latency compensation in Audacity but it's not perfect. I tried to understand both links:

https://support.audacityteam.org/troubleshooting/solving-recording-problems/latency-compensation
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/latency-compensation-measurement.177851/

and was able to generate a rhythm track but I don't understand which layout settings need to be done in AXEFXIII. I e.g. need to link Input/Output 3 via cable, but why Out 2 and IN USB are necessary. Is there a YT video available which describes it or a more detailed manual?

Last edited:
As it mentions at the top of that forum thread you linked to, that latency compensation problem was fixed long ago in the Axe-FX, so make sure your firmware is up to date.

If it is, and you're still having problems, I would suspect it's a bug in Audacity. That wouldn't be my first choice to use as a DAW and that Audacity support page you linked to makes it sound like Audacity simply doesn't do latency compensation properly. So, my advice would be to use a proper DAW. There are many to choose from. Reaper is quite popular.

Yeah, FW is up to date but I really don't know how good Audacity can manage latency compensation. Audacity is easy to understand and currently I don't know much about DAWs. Is there a video or manual how to manage it in a (free) DAW? I thought about to use a free Linux DAW in future but I didn't find time for it until now.

Last edited:
Reaper probably has the best cost:usefulness ratio of any of them. It has a generous, fully functional trial as well, so try taking it for a test drive.

Yeah, it's not expensive but complex for a newbie. I lookked into the more than 400 pages manual ... ahhhh. I will try to find more time ...

That's great! Do you know if I still need to take care about latency compensation for this use case or does it just work with new FW?

P.S: Next use case will be reamping - well I think its time to invest in a DAW.

Back
Top Bottom