How to give Axe-Edit on Windows 11 permission to create default directory?

I recently bought a new computer with Windows 11. I am running Axe-Edit for my Axe FXII XL which works fine except that it won't create a default directory and has to load all settings every time. The error message is Unable to create default directory C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\FractalAudio\Axe-Edit\
First I had to find a way to even get to AppData which was hidden. I have it and can open the file but right clicking and going to permissions has not helped. It says I can edit permissions and have given my name, listed with my email address to give it all permissions except for special permissions. Every other option was grayed out - including administrator(!) or others such as my name and computer only had limited permissions and none to execute commands.

I have looked in other places including the start menu which was supposed to have a place for giving it permissions but I am not seeing that window as indicated by other Windows 11 references on the web. Does anyone have other suggestions?

Last edited:
Sounds like maybe something wrong with UAC. That can mess up both permissions and running as administrator.

Well, I found that my app data was on a different path than I expected that was in my User's folder. In preferences I listed that path which takes it to the proper Axe-Edit file for blocks, snapshots and templates but it still won't create a directory. I still get the message that access was denied.
Right clicking the Axe-Edit folder on this path (there was another Fractal Axe-Edit on another path it was trying to go down) first a general attribute says that it was a read-only folder which I clicked off. Under security it shows in 4 instances that all permissions are checked as granted but they are grayed out. When I try to edit them I cannot - I can remove a group or all boxes would allow me to deny permissions. When I click add on any group it's asking me stuff I don't know about.

So I clicked ok after unchecking the read only box but reloading Axe Edit again hasn't changed anything. I'll have to look up what the UAC is about and try to figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom