How to connect AX8 to Johnson JM150 and use only power amp

Borut

Hi, just bought AX8, I wanted to connect to my old Johnson modelling JM150 and use it as power amp only.
I used out 1, tried xlr/jack and jack/jack cable into Johnson return loop. You could see the signal was in but no sound was heard.
I used ax8 out 1 into guitar input on Johnson, but didn't sound as Ax8, probably combined both fx preamps.
Should I use out 2 or...
Many thanks.
Cheers

Going to the loop return should have worked. Your master volume on the Johnson should be the main volume control. Did you adjust that?
I've tried this on my H&K Zentera. Worked like a charm.

Can you get any sound out of the jm150 (not using the ax8)?

Are you getting a signal out of the AX8?
So, going out of the ax8 (1/4 R or L) to the fx return of the jm150 you should get something.
Are your cables good?
Could the fx return jack be dirty?

I recall that some amps don't process signal on the FX Loop return if there's nothing plugged in to the main input. You could try plugging a patch cable into the input jack with nothing connected to it.

If that doesn't work try connecting a cable to the FX Loop send.

I just spoke with my amp tech and he mentioned from what he can remember working on these amps when he did amp repair is that the effects loop on those amps are in the preamp section not between the preamp and power amp. That could be the reason you are getting no sound when plugging into the effects return.

Can you get any sound out of the jm150 (not using the ax8)?

Are you getting a signal out of the AX8?
So, going out of the ax8 (1/4 R or L) to the fx return of the jm150 you should get something.
Are your cables good?
Could the fx return jack be dirty?
Yes to all. Johnson works well, just wanted to hear ax8 since I don't have active cabinet or similar solution yet. I can see signal coming in on Johnson display.

I just spoke with my amp tech and he mentioned from what he can remember working on these amps when he did amp repair is that the effects loop on those amps are in the preamp section not between the preamp and power amp. That could be the reason you are getting no sound when plugging into the effects return.
Hmmmm, hope not, here is what I found in Johnson manual;
Programmable Mono FX Loop
For those of you that feel the need to add additional effects to the already extensive menu of sounds, the Millennium provides a line level programmable
FX loop. The signal leaves the Millennium after the Wah section and returns just before the Amplifier Modeling paths.

The way I understand from what you found in the manual is the fx loop is in front of the johnsons modeling section and not right before the power amp

The way I understand from what you found in the manual is the fx loop is in front of the johnsons modeling section and not right before the power amp
That's how I read it as well... I used to own one but never used the loop.

That's a really odd placement for an FX Loop.

Also, having a line level loop before the amp modeling seems strange.

Since you have the ax8, pick up a footpedal power amp (powerstage 170, carvin footpedal power amp... etc) and use the speakers in the johnson or completely ditch the johnson and get a frfr powered cabinet (headrush...etc)

Since you have the ax8, pick up a footpedal power amp (powerstage 170, carvin footpedal power amp... etc) and use the speakers in the johnson or completely ditch the johnson and get a frfr powered cabinet (headrush...etc)
Thanks for info. Sure I will buy stereo option, mission, matrix, blueamps, red sound and atomic reactor are on my list. Just wanted to use Johnson for first few days until I buy full stack. Cheers

Did you try the ideas I proposed yesterday?
Hi, just got my AX8, tried again yesterday, you can see the signal is coming in but only hissing statics. I ordered 2x12 active speakers as well and probably buy used power amp to conect to guitar speakers that I already own. Than I will check which goes to rehersal room, which stays home and which to sell. Hopefully

Back
Top Bottom