How much gain for recording alt metal?

How much gain for recording alt metal? or nu metal? I can't figure out the amount of gain is needed to record making it super heavy and also defined! any tips on how to get the cleanest but heaviest recordings?

How much gain for recording alt metal? or nu metal? I can't figure out the amount of gain is needed to record making it super heavy and also defined! any tips on how to get the cleanest but heaviest recordings?
Heavy and defined is moreso the bass tone, the kick drum and snare tones, and how the 3 instruments blend. Guitars by themselves dont do nearly as much.

The secret sauce for a heavy-as-f--k guitar tone is the bass guitar. You won't get there with just guitar alone, you gotta layer it with the right bass tone, and play it suuuuper tight. Some of the heaviest tones I've ever heard were just a single track L/R (no quads) layered on top of a single bass track.

The secret sauce for a heavy-as-f--k guitar tone is the bass guitar. You won't get there with just guitar alone, you gotta layer it with the right bass tone, and play it suuuuper tight. Some of the heaviest tones I've ever heard were just a single track L/R (no quads) layered on top of a single bass track.
you are a G thank you!!!

Check out URM's youtube videos where they focus on guitar tone: it can be done with a lot of gain and it can be done with less gain than you expect.

There's a lot of variation in metal.

Josh Middleton recently released a mix breakdown for a metal song which you mind find interesting:

He plays the isolated guitar tracks which should give you an idea of how much gain you need for that specific sound. FWIW, Machine Head is heavy metal and not nu metal but I think it is still a good watch

Back
Top Bottom