How Does the Looper Quantization Work?

toesalad

Inspired
I have owned a couple different loopers in the past, both with quantization. One was a TC Electronic and the other a Boss. In both cases, I could MIDI sync the looper with my DAW, play a drum track, and get my loops perfectly synchronized with the drums. With the FM3, however, I really struggle to get things aligned properly.

What exactly is quantization quantizing too? Are there any tips/tricks or timings I need to be aware of to make this work better on the FM3?

+1 on this question. It appears to be synced to the current bpm, but that's just a guess based on playing with it.

This is what it is written in the wiki:

Quantize​

Quantize will automatically chop your recording to the nearest beat. Recommended to use in conjunction with Threshold. Press Record, then start playing on a downbeat click. Press Record again to stop. If you stop slightly too soon or late it will automatically trim the recording to the length. Also, it will automatically start playback on the downbeat. So if you stop playback and start it up again later, it should always come back in on the beat.

Are there any tips/tricks or timings I need to be aware of to make this work better on the FM3?
You can use the built-in metronome as a guide. Set the tempo in the metronome tab or use tap tempo, turn it up, record, then turn it down when you got your loop.

Something like this:

Also, make sure your Record/Play buttons don't have a Hold function on them. That can lead to timing delays in triggering the button.
OH! You are a genius! That was it, everything works as expected now!

I had no hold function for the Record button, but I had stop/erase set as the hold function on the same button as play/pause. Removing that hold function on the play/pause button totally fixed the issue.

This is actually pretty interesting overall. I haven't tried but did look through the documentation. Can the looper actually work as a midi looper like the TC looper? I used the the TC for a while via midi into protools and it kind of would be ok, but did have some sync issues. I haven't really seen to much use this way with the AXE looper. However, this would be a really good feature if it would work. Thoughts?

OH! You are a genius! That was it, everything works as expected now!

I had no hold function for the Record button, but I had stop/erase set as the hold function on the same button as play/pause. Removing that hold function on the play/pause button totally fixed the issue.
Cool!

This is actually pretty interesting overall. I haven't tried but did look through the documentation. Can the looper actually work as a midi looper like the TC looper? I used the the TC for a while via midi into protools and it kind of would be ok, but did have some sync issues. I haven't really seen to much use this way with the AXE looper. However, this would be a really good feature if it would work. Thoughts?
What's a "midi Looper"?

It can be controlled via midi if that's what you're asking?

Yeah...I midi loop can clock sync with your DAW. I used to use one live. So I would run Protools and and I was able to loop on top of what I have going on with PT in the backround. I could stop/start and add to the loop if I wanted and even control the tracks within the DAW. But it can be difficult to keep in the sync. It would cool to see that within the AXE.

Yeah...I midi loop can clock sync with your DAW. I used to use one live. So I would run Protools and and I was able to loop on top of what I have going on with PT in the backround. I could stop/start and add to the loop if I wanted and even control the tracks within the DAW. But it can be difficult to keep in the sync. It would cool to see that within the AXE.
The Looper can Quantize and the Axe Fx will sync to midi beat clock... So I think it's already all there. I have never tried that.

Back
Top Bottom