How best to set up Axe FX for AC30?

I've found a couple problems:

First, if the out 1 is greater than 10.30 on the dial I get a lot of hiss creeping in, regardless of what's connected. So that means that my level on the level meters page is fairly low. No problem, but I just keep it down. Makes me wonder if I'm starting to trim off some of my guitar tone (which goes in at front).

Second, using two delays in series - when I turn the first delay off the overall volume goes up. The setting I see shouldn't let this happen as far as I know - it's the 'mix' levels that I adjust. Do the delays reduce signal level?

Finally, when I take the guitar out of the Axe and plug it through my main rig with TC2290s I get a whole tsunami of tone flooding through! And I see what I'm missing :(

I have gone though every setting I can find, but I wonder if I'm setting this unit up as best as I could. I really just want it for serial delays, drive and a couple of pitch tricks here and there. And a solo boost.

What can I do to ensure I'm preserving ALL my guitar signal & tone? Are there any basics I should be following. Setup is Strat in front, AC30 out at rear unbalanced.

The dry level will jump if you bypass a delay using Mix=0% bypass mode, unless you've turned the delay block level up. Try changing the bypass mode to Mute FX In.

If you're concerned about keeping dry level equal to what you'd get with a shunt instead of delay block, set delay mix to 50%, level to +6 dB and use input gain to set delay level.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom