Home Studio Setup....Lets See 'Em (and some questions lol)

I had the Korg D1600. Going from 4 track cassette to one of those VS type boxes was quantum leap. I still have a few of the hundreds of CD’s I burned off that thing. They sound pretty bad in comparison to what one can accomplish nowadays but back then, I couldn’t believe it.

I’ve used Logic for years. First with an Apogee Ensemble and now with a UA Apollo. You can’t beat the amount and quality of the included plugins In Logic. You really don’t need anything except Logic to record, mix and master an entire album. The compressors and eq’s especially are great. I have a bunch of UA and Waves plugins but when I‘m maxing out DSP, I have no problem using some of the native Logic plugins - especially compressors and EQ’s.

The place where I find Logic falls behind is in the GUI used for some of the plugins. For instance, Space Designer is a good enough reverb but the GUI is, for me at least, hard to understand and hard to make it sound like I want. I rarely use it. Also, and this may be another GUI issue, the auto-tune doesn’t seem to do what it’s supposed to. I also find the multipressor to be very artificial sounding. But those really are nit-picky complaints. It’s all good.

But, even though I love Logic, I’m looking hard at the UA “Luna” DAW and may give it my full effort this week. I screwed around with the Unison preamp technology this weekend and was pretty impressed with what I heard. Really impressed, actually. There was a very noticeable difference in tracking. (Now I just have to unlearn all those Logic key commands that are hard coded in my reflexes.) The only problem with Luna is the cost of the UA plugins. Although, they seem to be on sale more often these days.

Anyway, if you’re looking for an endorsement for Logic - highly recommend! It’s a no brainer for the price. It’s a great tool and pretty easy to wrap your head around. If you already know how to use compression, delays, reverbs, etc., and don’t need to rely on presets, you’ll be up and running in no time.

I had the Korg D1600. Going from 4 track cassette to one of those VS type boxes was quantum leap. I still have a few of the hundreds of CD’s I burned off that thing. They sound pretty bad in comparison to what one can accomplish nowadays but back then, I couldn’t believe it.

I’ve used Logic for years. First with an Apogee Ensemble and now with a UA Apollo. You can’t beat the amount and quality of the included plugins In Logic. You really don’t need anything except Logic to record, mix and master an entire album. The compressors and eq’s especially are great. I have a bunch of UA and Waves plugins but when I‘m maxing out DSP, I have no problem using some of the native Logic plugins - especially compressors and EQ’s.

The place where I find Logic falls behind is in the GUI used for some of the plugins. For instance, Space Designer is a good enough reverb but the GUI is, for me at least, hard to understand and hard to make it sound like I want. I rarely use it. Also, and this may be another GUI issue, the auto-tune doesn’t seem to do what it’s supposed to. I also find the multipressor to be very artificial sounding. But those really are nit-picky complaints. It’s all good.

But, even though I love Logic, I’m looking hard at the UA “Luna” DAW and may give it my full effort this week. I screwed around with the Unison preamp technology this weekend and was pretty impressed with what I heard. Really impressed, actually. There was a very noticeable difference in tracking. (Now I just have to unlearn all those Logic key commands that are hard coded in my reflexes.) The only problem with Luna is the cost of the UA plugins. Although, they seem to be on sale more often these days.

Anyway, if you’re looking for an endorsement for Logic - highly recommend! It’s a no brainer for the price. It’s a great tool and pretty easy to wrap your head around. If you already know how to use compression, delays, reverbs, etc., and don’t need to rely on presets, you’ll be up and running in no time.
Thank you. Logic is seeming like the way to go. At least I think it’s a great initial choice if not for good. I used a vs1880 back in the day. Def had moments of pulling my hair out using it. lol.

Regarding standing desks I'm using a 120° angle desk, that's working well for holding monitors for good positioning.
https://www.upliftdesk.com/uplift-v2-120-degree-standing-desk/
It is 71" tip to tip, but the dimensions are more complicated than that due to the shape; I can upload a detailed dimension pdf if anyone is interested.

Below is my home setup, with the desk in the standing position. (As illustrated, I also use Logic :))
DAW Studio 2020-11-29 noxf.jpeg

I have a standing desk as well and it helps when you spend a lot of time in the studio to go from sitting to standing

You guys haven't mentioned Logic's unmatched feature - Logic Drummer! For a guitarist, having a quick way to throw in a drum track is a godsend. I find Logic Drummer to be much easier and quicker to work with than ezdrummer. Being able to have the kick and snare follow your recorded guitar track is so awesome. I don't think there is any drum plugin that has comparable features and for that reason alone, I am locked in to Logic.

Back
Top Bottom