Home Monitoring Help

JPS225

Inspired
Looking for some help with my home setup. Currently, I have my FM3 (XLR Out) going into a Presonus Studio24C via trs in Input 1. I have 2 Kali LP6 studio monitors connected to the Presonus. The sound i'm getting isn't great and i'm wondering if I have something hooked up wrong. I have an MBP connected vis usb to the Presonus as well. Is there a better way to connect?

First thing I would do is make sure you’re monitoring in stereo. You’ll need to connect both the left and right XLR outputs to the interface’s two TRS inputs and configure them as stereo in the interface’s software so that one input is hard panned left on the other is hard panned right.

After that, make sure your monitors are placed properly, tweeters level with your head in an equilateral triangle, etc. Here’s a good 101 level article about monitor placement and acoustic treatment, make sure to read all 4 pages: https://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-setup-speaker-placement/

Last edited:
I also use a 24C as my interface/control surface, and my FM3 is connected same as yours (Output 1 via XLR's), and I monitor with Presonus Eris 5's. Sounds pretty good on my end.

Pretty basic idea, but make sure you haven't inadvertantly switched on the line input switch, or have 48V activated. Pushed that by accident once, and it did not sound good at all. Roll your mix knob all the way to the right too while noodling around or tweaking presets. I'm assuming you have your DAW open and a track armed as you are monitoring.

Does it have the “not great” sound when using headphones or does that help?

Also have you tried isolating just the fm3 (+ also as an interface) to your monitors to see if that gets you the sound you’re looking for?

Also shot in the dark but maybe check if cab modeling got turned off?

Hope that helps

I also use a 24C as my interface/control surface, and my FM3 is connected same as yours (Output 1 via XLR's), and I monitor with Presonus Eris 5's. Sounds pretty good on my end.

Pretty basic idea, but make sure you haven't inadvertantly switched on the line input switch, or have 48V activated. Pushed that by accident once, and it did not sound good at all. Roll your mix knob all the way to the right too while noodling around or tweaking presets. I'm assuming you have your DAW open and a track armed as you are monitoring.
+48v is off, but I don't see a line input switch

I have found that it sounds way better going straight from Fm3 into the Kali LP6. I was hoping to run both the laptop and Fm3 through the Presonus 24C so I can run tracks to practice along with, but maybe this box just isn't the right one

Clarification - I did not know there was a 24C straight interface. What I have is the ioStation 24C, which is basically an interface and Faderport in one unit.

When the ioStation is connected to my Mac, any internet audio also feeds through the interface to play along with. Again, as long as the DAW is open and a track is armed, it works great for that.

Back
Top Bottom