High frequency artifacts on Fender amps?

Ka'Pa

While I was playing around with some spring reverb surf tones, I started noticing some strange artifacts that start somewhere after 3.5K.

I played 3 small phrases that demonstrate this. I also provide the dry DI sound of my guitar (if someone tries to reproduce) and an EQ focused version of the phrases so people can understand what I'm talking about (EQ focused samples have everything below 3K filtered). You can hear them with a good pair of monitors (totally audible on my DT 770 Pro headphones)

I'm attaching the preset too, it uses the Double Verb Normal model but I've heard these kind of artifacts with the Deluxe Verb models too. Spring Reverb is placed right before the amp. Double Verb dynacabs used.

Firmware is 8.00beta1. I rolled back to FW 7.00 to test with that too and although I couldn't open my preset because I had created it with 8.00beta1, I created it from scratch and still managed to get the same artifacts.

Sample A
Sample A - DI
Sample A - EQ focused

Sample B
Sample B - DI
Sample B - EQ focused

Sample C
Sample C - DI
Sample C - EQ focused

screenshot.png

I've heard all kinds of high frequency "artifacts" with other Amp emulations and when recording real amps too. I have to admit these artifacts kinda stand out to my ears, it's hard for me not to hear them now :D Unfortunately I don't have any experience recording the mentioned Fender amps, so I can't know if such a thing is expected or a product of the modeling algorithms. Maybe it's something normal (maybe I pushed the Gain too much) or I've setup something wrong on my FM9 or preset. That's why I'm posting here, to get some other opinions on this.

These artifacts can happen without using spring reverb before the amp, but I feel spring reverb accentuates them. They tend to come up when different frequencies are happening at the same time, like when playing chords that contain high notes on the fretboard (specific notes can make it more audible). Spring reverb prolongs every note played and maybe adds harmonics too, so I feel like something is getting overloaded from the multitude of frequencies being passed to the input of the amp.

Attachments

• Twin Reverb Artifacts.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Bump, anyone?

The artifacts are most easily audible on Sample B, I can even hear them on my iPad.

Have I reached the limits of modeling, or am I doing something wrong? :D

I'm finding the same thing when I'm setting my Double verb or deluxe reverb to higher gain. I get a bit of a splatty sound. picking notes hard on the higher strings is a bit fizzy. I'm trying to dial it out while not letting it get to muddy. I can have the same issue with tube amps and drive pedals. There are so many frickin options for tone shaping. I'm sure I'll find a cure.
I find its most noticeable on my strat on the bridge pickup. My CS 52 tele and my R8 are easier to dial out fizz. The strat bridge is a very bright pickup, so maybe thats the issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom