Hi/Lo Cuts in Cab Block quandry

Y'know what guys?
At this point I'm fine just dropping the whole thing.
I'm sure I can find lots of ways to work around what I've been trying to describe.
It's probably just me.

If an admin wants to close this thread, I'm good with it.
Thanks again to all participants.

Sorry for your frustration. I was actually hoping someone might have a solution for this, or at least a theory as to why this might be.
But it seems most aren't truly getting the concept behind what you are talking about, although it does seem pretty straight forward to me.

said:
"IRs are supposed to be a snapshot of a single mic position and EQ."

You said:
"That's exactly why the same amp or drive setting won't also work on your real cab"
Because they only capture the frequency response of that snapshot, they don't capture the dynamics and distortion introduced by power amp/speaker/mic/preamp. They are not "3D snapshots", that's why initially I suggested to experiment with speaker drive and motor drive parameters.
I said:
"I still see no reason why it should be so difficult to use a single snapshot of a mic position to reproduce both a clean tone and a dirty tone when doing so with a real mic is not difficult at all."

You said:
"You admitted that it's not difficult at all if you're creating your sound for the FRFR out."

Right.
If I use a different instance (including different IRs and/or EQ) of the Cab Block for each separate Amp Block instance I can get satisfactory results.
But I'm trying to do this with a single instance of the Cab block and your explanations as to why this does not work so well don't really seem to be on the mark, as far as I can tell.
It's pretty simple to make them work both on the same IR: just tweak the amps and drive blocks you're using instead of the cab block!
But you don't want to do this because it would screw up your PA+cab sound..
And that's totally normal because, again, the IRs are not 3D snapshots.
You're assuming that
amp sim+PA+cab+mic+preamp=amp sim+IR but that's not right for the reasons I said above. Even if your power, speakers, mic and preamp are the most transparent on the market they still introduce some compression and distortion, they're not a $20k Hi-Fi system!
You said:
"Again, what's causing you this problem is that you are comparing amp-in-the-room sound (your power amp and cab unmic'd) to an FRFR sound.
For some reason you don't want to accept this statement but that's what it is"

It may well be at the root of my issue.
But I still don't understand how or why.
That's not clear in reality because in some posts you talk about unmic'd cab and in some posts of a mic'd cab..
You said:
"In my #1 I was talking about making sound your Frfr as similar as possible to your unmic'd cab = try to achieve amp-in-the-room sound with an IR"

Well that's what I used to try to do.
What I do now is to try to get a satisfactory sounding mic'd cab sound coming out of my FRFR speaker, a CLR in this case.
And I still don't understand why an IR that works well enough as a representation of my mic'd cab for a clean tone does not work equally well as a representation of my cab mic'd exactly the same way with an overdriven tone because with a real mic it DOES work.
Well, at least that's a step forward!
It does not work for the reasons I said above, you're not tweaking your amps/drives to adapt to the IR and you're arbitrarily taking out of the equation the non-linear effects of your pa/speaker/mic/preamp setup.

Even if you shoot an IR of your mic'd cab you'll still have the same problem because those non-linear effects are missing. The best you can do is trying to simulate them inside the axe fx.

Or, now that I think about it maybe there's a better alternative: use 2 amps in your presets, one tweaked for the IR and one tweaked for your cab. Done

P.s.: actually you can also measure those non-linear effects on your mic'd cab with some patience. Use a Synth block on the axe with a sine wave and tracking off, send your mic signal to a DAW and look at the VU meter. See if when you increase the Synth level let's say by 3dB you get the same increase in the VU meter. If for example the VU increases just by 2dB it means that your pa/speaker/mic/preamp configuration is compressing with a 3:2 ratio =1.5
Then try that at different synth levels to see if the ratio varies, if at a certain level there's no difference you've found the threshold.
Then see if it varies with different frequencies of the sine Synth, that would tell you that you'd need a multi-band comp.
To see if distortion is introduced record the same sine from both the mic and the axe output and see if the two waveforms are exactly the same by zooming in the recorded tracks in your DAW
Etc..

But I assume motor drive has been implemented with a similar process

Last edited:
It might be worth shooting your own IR of your own cab setup with the mic position that works for both. I know personally, I can find the whole IR choice frustrating, I get option paralysis and ear fatigue with them pretty quickly. I'm about 85% synced up between my real Mesa 4x12 and a mix of 2 stock IRs (4x12 Cali and one of the OH Bogner sm57..#8 maybe) but I just can't quite nail it. I think I'm going to try and shoot my own IR to see if I can close the gap...

Back
Top Bottom