HF/LF Resonance question

PacoCasanovasOld

Fractal Fanatic
Before 9.03 I used "Transformer Match" on my patches a lot! Now it was replaced or splitted into two seperate parameters. Cliff explained the HF-Resonance parameter in the release notes of the 9.03 firmware update, so far so good.

Does anybody know how the old parameter "Transformer Match" would be replaced by tweaking HF/LF-Resonance, to get similar results as before? Yes, you can always use your ear, for sure....but if possible, a clear statement would help me to save a lot of time to rework my patches after the update to 9.03 (I am free to ask a question, didn't I?) ;)

Many thanks in advance....

Greetings
Paco

If I understand right, HF Resonance is a newly exposed parameter that previously had a fixed value. LF Resonance is the parameter formerly known as Transformer Match, renamed.

To get similar (identical) results to 9.00 patches, you'd set HF Resonance to 2.5 and LF Resonance to whatever value you previously used for Transformer match.

tzrider is exactly right.

I would encourage you though to try and rework your patches with the HF RES at the default setting (5.00) instead of 2.5. I was one of the people who initially hated the changes made in 9.01 and complained that I couldn't get my patches to sound as good as they used to. Everything just seemed overly bright and scooped sounding. I couldn't wait for 9.03 to come out with the new split Resonance controls so I could put the HF at 2.5 and get my tone back. Last week though, being ever the tweaker, I decided to try and make a reworked version of my main tone (Petrucci style high gain, Mesa Mark IV rhythm/lead sound) with the HF RES at 5.00 since I could now directly compare it with the pre 9.01 version (i.e. HF RES at 2.5). Very quickly after just a few tweaks (basically adding more low end/mids and lowering the amp sim's presence control) it was obvious I had a much better tone than the old one I considered up to that point to be "perfect". After some more tweaking and A/Bing, the patch was far superior to the version of it with the HF RES at 2.5.

I now have the best tone I have ever had coming out of my monitors. I am really just blown away every time with how great it sounds when I turn my Axe FX on and start to play now. I am very glad I gave the new HF RES a chance.

shredi, can you elaborate on what you changed after setting HF RES to 5.0?

Your previous recommendation was to increase LF RES in your Mesa patch. After setting HF RES to 5.0, did you find you had to lower LF RES to compensate?

Thanks!

Ugg said:
shredi, can you elaborate on what you changed after setting HF RES to 5.0?

Your previous recommendation was to increase LF RES in your Mesa patch. After setting HF RES to 5.0, did you find you had to lower LF RES to compensate?

Thanks!

I'm terrible and trying to describe how something sounds, but with the HF RES at default (and adjusting the things I mentioned above to compensate for the added brightness/lack of bass & mids), it just sounded much clearer, "juicier", and alive. My original patch sounded dull by comparison. Like there was a blanket over the speaker.

The LF RES stayed the same as where it was before (when it was the Transformer Match parameter). I did some experimenting with raising both the LF & HF past where I have them now, but preferred the LF turned up a little (6.38) and the HF at 5.00.

Back
Top Bottom