Help with Adam A7X studio monitors for AxeFx III

FrancescoDiMauro

Dear community,
I need your help! I'm struggling to get good sounds with my setup (Axe-Fx III straight into Adam A7X monitors through xlr cables), and I was wondering if there is some of you using this same (or a similar) setup that could give me some advice.

I started undertaking the "Complete Axe-Fx III Master Class with Cooper Carter", I followed his instructions for setting up the unit (cab emulation, input levels, etc.), but in one of the very first videos (Routing Best Practices & Templates) he explains how to build tones from the ground up, and I can't already get the results he is getting.

He starts with an empty preset and directly connects the input (In 1) to the output (Out 1), getting a clean and dry sound. What I get instead is already a bit boomy and muddy (I tried with different guitars, so that doesn't seem to be the issue), so that building from there is really hard, especially for a noob like me! I managed to get a somewhat decent clean sound with a Double Verb, but my attempts at getting good distorted sounds have been a disaster so far. :(

What do you guys suggest? Did you have similar issues? I tried to fiddle with the monitors' controls (high shelf, low shelf, twitter level), but I didn't notice major improvements (probably because I have no clue what any of those are for), should I work on those controls, is there a proper setting, or maybe should I tweak the general equalizer (Out 1 EQ in Global Settings) and try to get an as dry as possible sound before adding amps and cabs? I should disclose that equalizers scare the hell out of me for how many control knobs there are... What was your experience with these monitors, or studio monitors in general?

Thanks in advance, any help is more than welcome!

I have Adam A5X monitors and they sounding just great. My Adam's monitors are connected to my audio interface Presonus Studio 1810 (usb) and my Axe III is connected to my Presonus Studio 1810 mic/line 1 and 2 with XLR cables.

One thing I have learned is that even checking nice ideas and specs from other players (like Carte Cooper etc.) you need to make your own sounds.
It's very difficult just trying make same presets copying etc. cause simply your devices and surrounding is just different.

I have some presets made copying from https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/ and some other pages but all of them I needed to fix cause I don't have exact same devices and surrounding.

What you hear is result of that total sound chain starting your fingers/pics, guitar and rest devices and surrounding, and already even the smallest thing like pick is making so much difference to sound.

Your monitors are very nice and great sounding, I don't think they are problem in your preset.

When I build preset I just make first In and Out blocks, then amp and cab and there and trying to make sound already good for my ears, then
i make some drive, reverb, delay, comp, etc.

My effect chain is usually In - Comp - Drive - Amp - Cab - Chorus - Flanger - Delay - Reverb - (Enhancer) - Out
And depending what I want from my sound I use rotary, multidelay, EQ - Phaser etc. and place them where ever I want.

This is just my way to usually put things on effect chain but there is no correct or wrong way, everything depends what kind sound you
need to get ;D

Ex. I like put comp before Drive cause for me drive sounds little bit more balanced.

I have also set my monitors High self, Low self and Tweeters the way I like them (suits for my place surroundings and equipments).

My monitors tweeters are set my ear high level and I'm positioned that way I'm in the middle for them.. (stereo sound)

1703186285531.png

I don't know at all if my comments helps you but hope so :D

Last edited:
I like your question @FrancescoDiMauro and wish that I could chip in with something worthwhile. But I can't. :)

I had a similar boomy and muddy situation with some Adam T5V's with my old AX8 unit. I could never get the monitors to sound that good. I pretended to myself that the Adams were OK, but their sound was harsh. I bought an FM3 and found the monitors perked up and sounded a lot better for some reason.

I just noticed on my FM3 that in some presets (Fender amps) that the factory amp settings have the master volume on 10. Could the high master volume be a part of the cause of the muddy sounds? Maybe an adjustment there could help?

I run XLR directly into my monitors with no interface by the way. I don't have my monitors set in a permanent position but do find that angleing them to face towards my ears helps.

I will watch with interest the advice you receive. The Fractal community is a great place to be with a lot of "experts" who will give you some great tips and get you on your way to some excellent sounds.

Good luck!

@FrancescoDiMauro - curious if are you new to modeling? It took me awhile to get my ears accustomed to the“mic’ed cab” sound, especially on high gain tones.

I’ve noticed that bassy/ boomy presets tend to open up at volume, too.

I use the A7Xs and don’t find them boomy/muddy. Mine are hooked up directly with XLRs and no adjustments to monitor eq. They are sitting directly on a desk on angled foam blocks about 18” from the wall and relatively in the center of the room. They do seem very directional - meaning there’s a sweet spot to getting the height and angle right so pay attention to the setup.

Hope some of this helps!

Dear community,
I need your help! I'm struggling to get good sounds with my setup (Axe-Fx III straight into Adam A7X monitors through xlr cables), and I was wondering if there is some of you using this same (or a similar) setup that could give me some advice.

I started undertaking the "Complete Axe-Fx III Master Class with Cooper Carter", I followed his instructions for setting up the unit (cab emulation, input levels, etc.), but in one of the very first videos (Routing Best Practices & Templates) he explains how to build tones from the ground up, and I can't already get the results he is getting.

He starts with an empty preset and directly connects the input (In 1) to the output (Out 1), getting a clean and dry sound. What I get instead is already a bit boomy and muddy (I tried with different guitars, so that doesn't seem to be the issue), so that building from there is really hard, especially for a noob like me! I managed to get a somewhat decent clean sound with a Double Verb, but my attempts at getting good distorted sounds have been a disaster so far. :(

What do you guys suggest? Did you have similar issues? I tried to fiddle with the monitors' controls (high shelf, low shelf, twitter level), but I didn't notice major improvements (probably because I have no clue what any of those are for), should I work on those controls, is there a proper setting, or maybe should I tweak the general equalizer (Out 1 EQ in Global Settings) and try to get an as dry as possible sound before adding amps and cabs? I should disclose that equalizers scare the hell out of me for how many control knobs there are... What was your experience with these monitors, or studio monitors in general?

hey Francesco

you SHOULD be hearing a very clear and articulate sound at your first step mentioned above (input to output with nothing in between, without the need of Eq’s or anything else.

i just tried your first step thru my A7X monitors and all Good. No boominess or muddy..... i am getting the exact opposite…

something is clipping internally, or bad cables, . I have to rule out both monitors are bad ? Try one at a time and with different cable and different output. Even try output two to maybe rule out something going on in output one (if trying this remember to insert output block two and connect it :)

make sure the output volume in the axe is not clipping .. the unprocessed signal should sound clear, bright and pleasing, only then can you build a good preset.

Maybe complete factory reset Will work…

edited, yes and the headphone idea below mentioned to rule out something strange

Last edited:
Do headphones fix the issue? If so, and you're sure none of the equipment is faulty, then you'll want to start doing some research on monitor placement and acoustic treatment, here is a 4 part series to get you started: https://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-setup-speaker-placement/

It's very possible that the A7Xs are overkill for your room if it's the typical square residential spare bedroom studio with limited low end absorption. A common practice in this type of environment is to place the monitors directly against the wall to minimize SBIR, then reduce the bass trim on the monitors to compensate for the increased low end due to the reflected waves summing with the direct waves from the speakers.

Also, isolating / decoupling the monitors from the desk or the surface on which they're resting can make a big difference in low end clarity. They ensure all of the energy is directed out of the speaker instead of being transferred into the hard surface the monitors are resting on. I use these stands and they make a big difference vs. foam pads. Shouldn't be a priority above proper placement and acoustic treatment but they do help.

Last edited:
Have you tried playing some of your favourite recorded music through the speakers? Does the bass get boomy when you turn them up? I have a few records that I use to “calibrate” my expectation of monitors (or front of house PA for that matter) before I think about playing any instruments through them. In both the small rooms I have used my Adam A5X’s I’ve needed to roll the bass off a little to keep them sounding tight.

For me it’s generally the first Black Crowes album to check I’m happy with punch and tightness. Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here has some interesting low end at times, nice and tight against the kick drum. Then Radiohead OK Computer to test out the real low end if I’m worried about that (which really needs handling with a sub-woofer).

Everything @strabes has said, but if you can’t make your favourite records sound good through the speakers, you’ll have very little hope of getting a guitar sound that you love.

I have the luxury of using my A5X’s with a Sub8 in a purpose built sound-proofed and fully treated listening/control room. Most that have listened to music they are very familiar with in there have noted it’s like hearing it for the first time, with a lot of detail and separation you just don’t get to hear on more ordinary stereo setups. That was certainly not the case in the previous “untreated small room” they called home. I struggled more than a little to get them to sound nice due to reflections, comb-filtering and a load of standing waves that got excited. The Adams are great near-field monitors for their price, but seem very dependent on the environment they are being used in to sound their best. A7X’s would definitely be overkill for my purposes, but I think still usable with the bottom end rolled off.

Liam

Is your AF3 new or secondhand? If it's the latter, a full reset might be of use.

Starting with your guitar volume at zero and gradually raising it, does the sound seem muddy right from the start? If so, I would suggest input levels might need to be reduced.

fully treated listening/control room. Most that have listened to music they are very familiar with in there have noted it’s like hearing it for the first time, with a lot of detail and separation you just don’t get to hear on more ordinary stereo setups.
Just curious what products you chose for low end absorption and broadband absorption? Any diffusion on the back wall? I have a lot of treatment in my room but it's always a work in progress.

Any chance you have active pickups in your guitar? Or have a built-in pre-amp ala BC Rich, that is turned on? These ideas come to mind due to the issue you’re experiencing with nothing on the AF3 grid other than Input and Output.

Hope you are able to run the issue down, and enjoy your Adam A7X monitors. Those are the same monitors I have directly connected to my AF3, and I love them.

Best
Lee

Just curious what products you chose for low end absorption and broadband absorption? Any diffusion on the back wall? I have a lot of treatment in my room but it's always a work in progress.
I didn’t choose them, as it was all put together by an experienced professional studio build business. The thing that surprised me most is that it is pretty standard rock wool insulation in 2 different densities (45 kg/m^3 and 80 kg/m^3 if I remember right), 100 mm thick. I was quite surprised how little was needed, but the builder has his own recipe for full height bass traps in all 4 corners, pretty big ones at that. I’d be surprised if as much as 30% of the room’s remaining surface area has acoustic treatment.

“First reflection” points on the side walls got filled, can’t remember which density, but I think it was the heavier stuff. After that they concentrated on the front and back walls, and the ceiling above and behind where I sit at the desk. All of that went between fabric wall tracks, so that the walls and ceiling are all completely covered in stretch fabric. The intention was that once they had done the basics of what they know works, I could get my gear installed, have a listen, and then add or move acoustic treatment to see if we could improve things.

I ran some measurement sweeps through REW with a calibrated microphone by each ear, and realised these guys had built so many studios that it was going to be difficult to improve on. To be honest, it is such an amazing sounding small space that I’m a little scared to change anything too much! I thought it would be more challenging than the bigger “live room” that was built as part of the same suite, but turned out the other way around.

The back wall “diffuser” is the lead-lined entry door, which I suggested we should put a diffuser onto, but evidently the room is far too small for that to be measurably beneficial. We were keen not to kill too many surfaces and turn the room into some sort of anechoic chamber.

I think some of the key to the sound was that I was able to choose room dimensions before the suite was built, as well as putting facing walls at angles to one another to disperse room modes a little. I did a lot of work with the amroc room mode calculator before they started the build, and it does seem to have contributed to the result. Both rooms sound good, but the little control room is the one where I can close the door, turn up the volume, and think “holy sh!t, this is amazing!”

Liam

I have the adam A7X monitors. Nothing really to hooking them up. Just plugged them in. All the dials on the back of the monitors are set at unity (12 o'clock)

Maybe your output settings in the Axefx are cranked... is this a new unit? or used? Maybe a factory reset would help.

I have A7X monitors also. What I found to get the best sound is to (1) have the woofer at ear level (not the tweeter) and (2) put the monitors at least 3 to 4 feet away from your listening point. Other than those two things, I have no issues.

The only thing I can add to what’s been said already, is that I was liking my A7X’s a lot, then when I added an Adam sub to the
mix, it really kicked things up another notch.

So "boomy" usually means too much bass.

You can try this approach:
1. Open the Cab block
2. Raise the High Pass Filter (This limits the low frequency going out) till the boomy-ness is gone.

If you want to go more advanced:

You likely have some resonance (room modes) in your room that is boosting bass frequencies. This can easily be fixed with an output parametric EQ. However, you would need to use a calibrated microphone (umik-1) with REW to measure and generate an EQ curve.

You can also do an EQ sweep like this
Take note of the frequencies that are way too loud and apply an EQ to reduce them (like -6dB). However, don't try to boost the frequencies that are too quiet, that won't work.

Dear community,

Ciao Francesco,

here you can find my experience with the Adam. I'm in the minority, probably, but I understand your concerns and I had the same experience.

In this thread I make a comparison of the three studio monitors I had: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/focal-shape-65-vs-adam-a7x.182695/post-2248066

An here my considerations when I started the "monitor journey": https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...fferent-monitor-dilemma-final-verdict.180747/

In my room, in my experience, the Adam are not accurate in the low end, where other monitors perform better.

In this post you can hear a recording: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...tor-dilemma-final-verdict.180747/post-2213028

Last edited:
Hi Francesco, I have been using Adam A7Xs for about 3 or 4 years and find them pretty neutral. In fact they are very similar in sound reproduction to my Atomic CLR wedges. The A7X controls, both front and rear, are all set to centre. My A7Xs are on metal stands and with the centre of the speaker at ear level about 3 feet away from where I sit. I have no room sound treatment and the room is around 4m x 3m, so nothing special.

Here are some screen shots of my Config and Audio setting on the FXIII just in case something is different on your setup that night cause your issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 08.42.55.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 08.42.55.png
    554.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 08.42.41.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 08.42.41.png
    566.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 08.42.23.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 08.42.23.png
    564.8 KB · Views: 21
My experience with the A7X also was not a positive one, I bought them based on all of the great reviews but was not happy with how they sounded in my room.

Now I must say that my room is far from optimal as I am limited in space. My home office / music room is approximately 3,5 x 3,5m, with my desk facing a 2m wide window . So my monitors are really close to the window and the one on my right hand side is very close to the wall

I don’t have any sound treatment, and in combination with the far-from-optimal placement I was very disappointed. Just out of curiosity I then bought the Yamaha HS7 that my friend also owns. To my surprise I liked the HS7 more and returned the A7X.

The benefit for me is that when I go over to my friend for jamming I can use his monitors and because his room is similar to mine I have the same sound at both places

Back
Top Bottom