Help using fm3 as interface

Bram576

Hello all, new here to the fractal forum. I just purchased an fm3 and plan on using it as an interface. However I’ve installed all the drivers and it doesn’t seem to be working with my daw. When I play I get sound out of my monitors at all times and while it sounds great, I do want it to only come out when I have recording armed. Also when I’m ready for playback from my daw nothing comes out. I do have it set up through output 2 because my monitors are 1/4 output and not xlr. Here’s my preferences in reaper. I can see when I hit the record arm button it is being recorded, but like I said all audio output is essentially just what I’m playing on my fm3 with no regard to what else is going on with my daw. I’m at a total loss and at this point.E326EA4E-A5C1-490B-AF66-682AC6C37CEE.jpeg

You'll have to provide more information about what you're doing. In other words, what steps have you taken to route the daw output audio to output 2?

You'll have to provide more information about what you're doing. In other words, what steps have you taken to route the daw output audio to output 2?
By that, I meant that I followed the instructions in the manual to route your output in order to use 1/4 in instead of xlr. Which is working correctly, I am receiving sound out of my monitors when I’m playing.

By that, I meant that I followed the instructions in the manual to route your output in order to use 1/4 in instead of xlr. Which is working correctly, I am receiving sound out of my monitors when I’m playing.
However it’s only when I’m playing. I don’t get any playback out of my daw at all. I can even see recording happening but no playback.

The problem may be confusion about what you mean by "your output" but it's hard to say without knowing what you're doing to route the daw output audio to output 2.

FWIW, this problem is usually solved by using an XLR to 1/4" adapter. The FM3 isn't really designed to work this way.

My set up is like this other user here. I used the guideline in the manual for making this mirror out in monitors.
677A6E10-8C69-4433-B84A-C2D797220D71.png

The playback audio normally comes out of output 1. You'll need to do something to route it to output 2. What have you done to route it to output 2? The answer to your question will depend on that.

I’ve completed the bottom step here on this guide.

Attachments

• B66AC17A-659A-4C2E-BC8C-66AB2767BE11.jpeg
    B66AC17A-659A-4C2E-BC8C-66AB2767BE11.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
I’ve completed the bottom step here on this guide.
Those instructions are for grid output, not playback output. It's possible to route the playback audio to output 2, but you haven't taken any steps to do so. Your best bet is to follow the instructions in the guide you quoted: use an adapter on output 1.

This has confused people from day 1 on the FM3. The FM3 should probably include an XLR to 1/4" adapter.

So the current monitors I have are the jbl mkii. Should I just run two xlr cables and problem will be solved? Here’s the rear of the monitor

Attachments

• 0A957682-A8E6-408F-8F20-B447A96E7669.png
    0A957682-A8E6-408F-8F20-B447A96E7669.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
So now, it’s working until I apply any sort of mastering into a track. Once I up the threshold it totally turn to garbage. Not a problem with my other interface. Any advice here?

Also I still get sound from playing at all times even when the record track isn’t armed.
You can can control the guitar level from the output1 block in FM3 Edit. It's always going to be audible when the FM3 is both the guitar amp and interface.

All right, that makes sense. But I’m still unsure why my mix sounds like it’s clipping x100. When in my other interface it doesn’t.

So now, it’s working until I apply any sort of mastering into a track. Once I up the threshold it totally turn to garbage. Not a problem with my other interface. Any advice here?
You'll need to provide way more information about what you're doing. How do you have your rig configured, how are you routing audio, what do your meters show, etc. Nobody here is in the room with you :).

Thanks for your help here. I think I’ve got it all, able to re amp with the axe. It just has an issue with me changing buffer size it appears. It’s no problem using my one interface for mixing and the axe for recording though. Thanks for your help with this!

Back
Top Bottom