Help! Reference Monitors...

Cuervo

I'm having trouble deciding between two reference monitors that have come up for sale in my area. Both are used...and both are at priced reasonably. The two brands are Rockit 8 KRK and Mackie HR824...there's a $300 difference between the two (the Mackie being the more expensive of the two).

Is there a considerable and noticiable difference in audio quality between the brands monitors? I'm leaning towards the KRKs only because of the price, but I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish if the Mackies are really much better option. Would appreciate your assistance with feedback. Thanks in advance.

Obviously the best thing to do is to compare them yourself if you can. The Mackies are probably technically better, but it really comes down to what works for you. Personally, I just recently got a pair of the KRK Rockit 8's and am satisfied for now. It helps that I found them used on craigslist for only $200. ;) At that price, I've got extra money available to get some decent speaker stands and materials to treat the room, which is arguably at least as important as speaker choice.

If it helps I have krk rpg2 6's and my old man has the mackie mr5's. I have been really happy with them and up until recently only used them for recording. I now have an axe std and use my rokits for monitoring.

I found the krk's a little bass heavy compared to the mackies but both excellent speakers. Both pump out plenty of volume and clarity. My patches translate quite well between the two pairs but found my krks carry a bit more bass so instead of eq-ing my patches to suit I have put foam in my front bass ports and mounted my rokits on squash balls cut in half to reduce some low end. Since doing this i have been extremley happy with them and the extra bass is no longer a problem. Either way there both good choices but again as everyone has stated the best way to choose your spreakers is side by side listening to some music you know very well, once you listen for awhile you should know which ones will suit you best.

As mitch said, speaker stands and treatment are very important as well as speaker placement. hope this helps :)

If it helps I have krk rpg2 6's and my old man has the mackie mr5's. I have been really happy with them and up until recently only used them for recording. I now have an axe std and use my rokits for monitoring.

I found the krk's a little bass heavy compared to the mackies but both excellent speakers. Both pump out plenty of volume and clarity. My patches translate quite well between the two pairs but found my krks carry a bit more bass so instead of eq-ing my patches to suit I have put foam in my front bass ports and mounted my rokits on squash balls cut in half to reduce some low end. Since doing this i have been extremley happy with them and the extra bass is no longer a problem. Either way there both good choices but again as everyone has stated the best way to choose your spreakers is side by side listening to some music you know very well, once you listen for awhile you should know which ones will suit you best.

As mitch said, speaker stands and treatment are very important as well as speaker placement. hope this helps :)
I agree with you that the KRKs are a little heavy on the bass. Moving them to proper stands helped greatly in this regard. Even the little RP5s I had were also bass heavy if not properly isolated. Interesting idea on using squash balls to isolate...much cheaper than auralex mopads too.

Thanks, guys...I truly appreciate the time you took to assist and advise! Great info which is very helpful.

I have the KRK V8's and I like them.
I did not like the Rockits (in comparison). My band mate has the Mackies, and they sound great.
If cost is not a factor, I would go with the Mackies.

Back
Top Bottom