Help... Real amp cutting in and out

I think I read somewhere some older Buddas were prone to having issues with the tube sockets? Given it takes some operating time to manifest the issue It certainly sounds like a cracked solder or something at a heat generating point ..... but unless there's something obvious to see it's probably best to let an amp tech test it out. What you really don't want to do is keep firing it up to see if it's magically gone ..... because if something major lets go then half the components could go with it.
It is an older one... Hand-written serial number.

I'm going to give a shot at cleaning everything I can and giving all the knobs a workout.

If it's still happening after that I'll find a tech.

All due respect to techs everywhere, but takes a 1/4 plug and plug it in and out of the send/return jacks a number of times, see if that helps. Really common issue for hear that sat for a while.

Tech next.

I had the exact same symptoms with a Morgan AC40. It was fine for about 20 minutes and then the volume would start cutting out or die completely. Let it cool off a while and it was good for another 20 minutes or so. After trying new tubes and cleaning the input jack I took it to my tech. He found a couple of bad solder joints and had me up and running again for around $100.

Back
Top Bottom