Help Output Issues

ZackThi

Hey everyone,

So, here's where I'm at with my issue. I'll start by saying I'm not even entirely sure this is an axe fx issue but, please stick with me here. Next, my signal chain is as follows. Guitar > Axe fx 2 Mk2 > NX3000 Behringer Poweramp > Mesa 2x12 cab. Now when I first set up my setup? I had no issues with output. The levels on my behringer poweramp were reacting as expected and I was getting proper volume. After a couple of uses I no longer was getting the expected output. Having every dial maxed out and having the output redlight on my axe fx I wasn't enough to get momre than one bar of output on my behringer whereas before I could get all 6/7 bars. I brought my behringer to their repair center to take a look at it because I figured it must have a shorted wire somewhere but, after they looked at it they said nothing was wrong with it. Now, i have my axe connected to the behringer using a regular quarter inch instrument cable and then from the behringer I'm using a speakon adapter that helps connect my mesa cab to the poweramps out put. Anyway, I used the axe fx's utility function to see if the axe was properly outputing and based on the feedback bars it is. I factory reset the axe fx to see if that would help and unfortunately nothing changed. I switched between both outputs on the axe fx to see if I could isolate the issue but both outputs respond the same. I've used plenty of different cables as well as different guitars. I'm at a loss at this point. Is it possible the axe fx has a shorted wire? Am I not using the speakon correctly? Or is there some other function on the axe that I'm not aware of? I've had this unit for about 8 months now (I have no idea how much more use it had although the previous owner said he barely used it). The axe fx sounds just fine using the headphones out as well as when I have it hooked up to my audio interface/studio speakers. Can anyone please give me any ideas as to what to do next? Thanks for hearing me out (unlike my poweramp) and sorry for the novel.

Cheers,

Tachy

You’ll need to plug the axe output into some other unit to verify it works. A mixer, another power amp, a powered speaker, something.

Yes, I failed to mention that I used the axe through an onyx 1640 mixer going to a mackie 2000W PA speaker, and having the output set on the mixer I was getting a fairly low volume out of the PA all things considered. I also, hooked it up to a small orange 15W dark terror and I mean this has a small amount of wattage so, I didn't expect it to make much noise to begin with. I guess one question I have is, and forgive since I'm new with this stuff, which cables should I use in each extension of my signal flow? I always thought that you use a speaker cable from power amp to cab but, the behringer technician said that I was shorting out the signal when using a speaker cable in conjunction with the speakon adapter.

The tricky thing here is, the axe fx definitely works. In terms of getting noises out of it and such but, I'm just not getting the levels I was getting previously and I really don't think I changed anything in my set up. My gut is telling me the behringer is busted but, the technician said it was fine so, I'm a little confused and I'm also new to the axe fx and just my whole rig in general. So, perhaps I'm just making a rookie mistake in my signal flow.

Start with the Axe output knob all the way down. Plug directly into the powered Mackie speaker.

Power on and slowly increase the Axe level, and the mackie level. Does it seem right to you? This is hard to diagnose over text as we don’t know what you’re hearing but try that.

Speaker cables should only be used between a power amp and speaker. Speakon is just a type of connector for a speaker cable.

I'll have to get back to you on the output on the mackie since it's out our studio. Would the power cables have anything to do with it? Would having a too low rating of a power cable stunt the signal going to the power amp?

I'll have to get back to you on the output on the mackie since it's out our studio. Would the power cables have anything to do with it? Would having a too low rating of a power cable stunt the signal going to the power amp?
Most likely No.

Most likely No.
Hey. just want to thank you for the advice. I hooked up the axe fx to the mixer and got levels that I was expecting. I also hooked up an old boss gt-8 to my power amp and had the same output issue so, I now know definitively that the issue lies with the power amp.

Cheers

Hey. just want to thank you for the advice. I hooked up the axe fx to the mixer and got levels that I was expecting. I also hooked up an old boss gt-8 to my power amp and had the same output issue so, I now know definitively that the issue lies with the power amp.

Cheers
always good to know the source of an issue! glad you got it.

Back
Top Bottom