Delete

Hey everyone, I've been playing around with various amp models in my FM3 lately. I figured I'd post in the AFIII discussion and hopefully get a little more feedback. The tone I'm going for is hard to describe, but I guess something like AFI's Decemberunderground meets Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark. I'm not trying to copy either band's tone, but that kind of describes my playing style.

I'm looking for an amp model with a tone sort of like a blend of a Recto and a high-gain Marshall. I would just blend two amps, but alas, I have an FM3.
I've tried a lot of different amp models from the 5153 to the FAS Modern to the Herbert. The 5153 was too fizzy for my taste and the Herbert was amazing for heavier stuff, but a little too heavy for what I'm trying to do if that makes sense. I really like the FAS Modern, but I could use a few tips on how to tweak it a little further.

Feel free to let me know your suggestions. I appreciate it.
The good news is you just got a brand new Beta and the amps sound even better
If you want a Mesa / Marshall thing my recommendations

The Bogner XTC red
The Triple Crest red
The Archean bright

If the Herbert was close, but a touch too heavy, maybe try a VH4? The Splawn Nitro that was suggested is a great choice as well, maybe the JVM or a Revv?

Another vote for the Diezel models (Herbert, VH4), they are the basis of my go-to heavy/modern guitar sound. I think the cab choice is non-trivial here. If you got close with the Herbert, I imagine playing around with different IRs for cabinets or in the DynaCab setup will get you that last mile.

Maybe so, but I've spent a lot of time trying different cabs, and my favorite is the York Audio Straight Recto.
Any cabs you'd suggest?
The rectos (amp and cab) are generally fizzy, especially with a 57 on them and also have a "scooped" kind of sound. Totally great sound if you're into that but I did note you mentioned you weren't super happy with the fizzyness in your OP.

Greenback and Creamback Style speakers have less fizz and the EV12L with the smoothest no fizz tone out there. You may try those options just in case.

Revv purple is the one you want.

My heartfelt advice? Pick one, stop looking, and work with it. Spend your time with the amp tone controls, input EQ, and IR. Your sound is in there but no amp will sound exactly right without a bit of massaging.

Some great suggestions above. I'd also suggest the FAS Modern for the MFW. ;) 🤘:cool:

With fw25 this amp sounds beyond fantastic. For a quick audition:
  • Beef Supreme
  • find your style
  • tweak it a bit
  • ??????
  • profit

Or just straight setup a new preset, but I'd bet it'll be a contender.

Good luck!

Personally, I'd stick with the Herbert. It covers a lot of tones, and although it's very hairy and spikey in a good way, it doesn't have to be heavy.

I don't get along with the VH4. I'll acknowledge that it's a useful, well balanced amp, but there's something in the mids that grates on my ears. I can usually pick out bands that use it in a second. Funny thing, this X-3 update nails that sound. I just tried it out, and yep....it's a VH4. LOL

I'll definitely be trying out the Nitro, VH4, and Revv later today. I tried the JVM, but there was either too much gain or not enough.
I’m surprised you don’t like the JVM OD 1 orange mode, that’s like pure modern rock imo. That’s an amp model gives a good balance of saturation and clarity imo.

Back
Top Bottom