Help dialing in the bogner amp models.

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I've played many bogner amps in the past and love them all, but I just can't seem to dial in a solid tone with any of these models in the axe. The shiva clean sounds great but as far as higher gain models, I've tried the shiva lead, übershall and ecstasy red. All of these I'm having the same problem, the low end seems to be very muddy and lacks punch. No matter what I try I just can't tighten up the low end without thinning out the overall sound. Maybe I'm just using the wrong cab for these models.. Can someone shed some light on taming these? I really love these models for lead tones and would love to get them up and running.
Thanks

Edit: a little info....I'm using a gibson les Paul with burstbuckers primarily. Atomic frfr cab.
I've tried lowering the master below 5, I played around with the low cut. I try not to mess with the graphic EQ too much if possible. I usually don't have the drive past 5. I have a feeling that cab selection will be essential in getting a good working tone with these models.

My main setup used to be a Les Paul Standard into a Shiva, and I can vouch for the fact that the Axe-FX II Shiva model is very true to the amp--DARK. I liked it, but it's a really dark amp, and it requires an unusual approach to get anything "normal" sounding out of it. I used to put the bass at about 2, mids anywhere from 3-6, and crank the treble ALL THE WAY UP. I can't stand cranked treble on virtually any other amp, but the Shiva pretty much requires it. Presence would also go to about 5 or 6. I'd leave the master cranked. Probably you already figured this out, but I'd recommend sticking with the bridge pickup on anything but the mellowest leads.

It played very well with Vintage 30s, so you might try an IR from a cab loaded with those. Also, I found that a 2x12 cab instead of a 4x12 cleaned up the bottom end flub quite a bit.

The Axe-FX model is so good I sold the actual amp. The model did, however, require me to use all the same tricks, because it's a very faithful model and there's just so damn much low end in that amp.

I've been struggling with the Red myself, giving up trying really. There are so many other amp options that work better (as it turns out) for the tones I'm after. Regardless, I'm interested in how people are using these.

My main setup used to be a Les Paul Standard into a Shiva, and I can vouch for the fact that the Axe-FX II Shiva model is very true to the amp--DARK. I liked it, but it's a really dark amp, and it requires an unusual approach to get anything "normal" sounding out of it. I used to put the bass at about 2, mids anywhere from 3-6, and crank the treble ALL THE WAY UP. I can't stand cranked treble on virtually any other amp, but the Shiva pretty much requires it. Presence would also go to about 5 or 6. I'd leave the master cranked. Probably you already figured this out, but I'd recommend sticking with the bridge pickup on anything but the mellowest leads.

It played very well with Vintage 30s, so you might try an IR from a cab loaded with those. Also, I found that a 2x12 cab instead of a 4x12 cleaned up the bottom end flub quite a bit.

The Axe-FX model is so good I sold the actual amp. The model did, however, require me to use all the same tricks, because it's a very faithful model and there's just so damn much low end in that amp.

Thanks. This was very helpful. Cranking the treble made a big difference. Sometimes I still can't get my head round using my ears instead of my eyes. However, cranking the master to 10 really flubbed up the low end. Actually any where over 6 seemed to kill the low end tightness. I'm finding it sounds best right at 5.
As far as the 2x12 cabinet, are there any stock 2x12/ps that have vintage 30's. I'm not seeing any by name specifically.
Which cab are you using?

Thanks. This was very helpful. Cranking the treble made a big difference. Sometimes I still can't get my head round using my ears instead of my eyes. However, cranking the master to 10 really flubbed up the low end. Actually any where over 6 seemed to kill the low end tightness. I'm finding it sounds best right at 5.
As far as the 2x12 cabinet, are there any stock 2x12/ps that have vintage 30's. I'm not seeing any by name specifically.
Which cab are you using?

I totally get you on the ears vs. eyes thing. I remember thinking, "But I never turn the treble up that high!" I got over it. :)

I don't know if any of the stock 2x12 cabs have Vintage 30s, but the cabinets I like are the Boutique 2x12s, particularly the RedWirez one.

Try adjusting the transformer match in the advanced parameters. A little does a lot so go slowly. All the magic you are looking for is there. :D

Which position? Anyway, that is quite a dark cab to begin with. Not sure it would work with a dark amp too.

Sorry about that... 0.5" cone... Trust me, it's not dark with that mic and that position... Just audition that cab and mic with cap, and cap-edge... Gets rid of the boominess...

Sorry about that... 0.5" cone... Trust me, it's not dark with that mic and that position... Just audition that cab and mic with cap, and cap-edge... Gets rid of the boominess...

I just did. It was way too dark for me with a Bogner (or really any amp). Different strokes ;)

Btw, for boominess, lowcut works great with any amp/cab combo.

OH beta F and WF cabs, add def, increase damp, minimize compression, tune depth to a freq that works with your guitar/tuning, pull up the low freq roll off in trafo.

Why not use the amp select dial and find a tone closer to what you want as a starting point instead of picking a model of an amp and then tweaking to get it to sound differently ?

Just curious on the approach taken as there may be another amp model that is closer.

Not really! :)

Takes a minute or two :)

What does all that achive that you can't get with just the tone controls? I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I never touch anything in the dyn/advance/speaker tab exept the brigth cap value, so I'm always curious to what people are going for when they really tweak alot of stuff you can't tweak on a real amp. Just curious :)

Back
Top Bottom