Headphones for AX8 Recommendations

mlongano

Hello everyone...I am new to the Fractal, and am on the AX8 wait list. I play at home only, and intend to play through a CLR active wedge. When I need to be extra quiet, I would like to play through a comfortable set of high quality headphones.

Since the AX8 does not have a headphones outlet, can someone tell me what I need to purchase as an adapter, and recommend a brand and model of headphones in the under $250.00 USD range? Thanks in advance for your help.

Blue MoFi.

Beyerdynamic DT880. If you can swing a good headphone amp, get the 600 ohm version. I'm sure the two lower resistance models are as good.

ATH AD900x

Super comfy, and really airy and neutral sounding, and gives a great soundstage, which is perfect for modeling stuff. You also don't need an amp to drive them. I love my pair. :)

Thanks everyone who has replied...I should have mentioned that the biggest problem I have with headsets, is simply how hot my ears get after about ten minutes!! Are any of these recommended models made of materials designed to keep your ears relatively comfortable?

Thanks everyone who has replied...I should have mentioned that the biggest problem I have with headsets, is simply how hot my ears get after about ten minutes!! Are any of these recommended models made of materials designed to keep your ears relatively comfortable?
The ones I recommended(ath ad900x) are open back and can be worn for hours without your ears sweating and getting hot. In fact, one of the main reasons I got them was because the cans I was using before(shure srh440) made my ears hurt after only 30 minutes or so.

That's one of the big problems with the popular closed back cans out there(ath-m50, Sony mdr 7506, etc.) is that they clamp down really hard on your ears, which is bad for long periods of listening. That's just my experience anyways.

Hope that helps.

The closed ones clamp down but they don't leak, many of the open-back are more comfortable but then they leak, depending on the volume from nothing to worry about up to waking up a baby or a spouse sleeping in the same room.

the Audio Technica have replaceable ear padding, with a choice of materials (some restrictions apply).

I would actually get a cheap mixer with headphone monitoring output if I needed this. That way it could be attached to a monitor/powered speaker or headphones or both.
There are so many outputs that isn't really necessary. 2 XLR, 2 1/4", and however many utility jacks for effects loops, reamping, etc.

A small mixer would work for sure, but you wouldn't need it to run both powered speakers and headphones at the same time.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-CD1700s that are still going strong 15+ years later. I'll be using those when my coveted email arrives and I finally get my paws on an AX8...

MDR-7506's. I love mine... even as cheap as they are compared to the rest of my collection, they still get time on my head.

+1 to this: "I would actually get a cheap mixer with headphone monitoring output if I needed this. That way it could be attached to a monitor/powered speaker or headphones or both."

I run a small mixer, AxeFx II into the mixer, output to two near field monitors (has a headphone monitoring port) and my CLR direct to my Axe. This way, when can krank, I can have tracks playing though the monitors while I play via the CLR...and simply only user monitors when its "quiet time".

Back
Top Bottom