Headphone Recommendation

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
My nephew purchased a set of Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro for gaming and music. Not surprisingly, he’s finding them sterile and dull. I explained to my sister that they are reference headphones and are designed to be flat for monitoring, recording, or mixing.

Looking for a recommendation on a set of over-ears around $169 with ample padding and frequency response that the average Joe would enjoy listening to for gaming and music, as well with a lower impedance for connecting to mobile devices.

I threw around the usual suspects like Beats and Bose, but looking for some other options. Thanks!

Though they don‘t have the hyped low end of a Beats set, after a lot of years I still like listening through Sony MDR-7506 phones. Not the sexiest choice, but solidly good sound and quite durable. I replace the ear pads eventually with a better set, but they’re serviceable while they‘re there... some folks like them. At $90 new, they‘re a bargain too.

I’m using the Drop 58x by Sennheiser. They’re in your range. I’m happy with them but they need to be comped to translate to FRFR speakers. The only other phones I tried were the Audio Technica ATH-M50, and I prefer the 58x. I’m primarily a headphone player since most of my playing is done at night. Not ideal but that’s what I have to do. One of these days I’ll buy the Ollo S5x. Search headphones on the forum. It’s a popular subject, tons of posts.

I have the Marantz MPH-2 and really like them for listening to music, playing a digital piano and playing the occasional video game. Nice bottom end, good clarity and soundstage for the price.

I’m using the Drop 58x by Sennheiser. They’re in your range. I’m happy with them but they need to be comped to translate to FRFR speakers. The only other phones I tried were the Audio Technica ATH-M50, and I prefer the 58x. I’m primarily a headphone player since most of my playing is done at night. Not ideal but that’s what I have to do. One of these days I’ll buy the Ollo S5x. Search headphones on the forum. It’s a popular subject, tons of posts.
But he's not asking about them for playing music... He is asking about gaming and listening to music ;)

I also love my 7506's but IMHO for your use case:
listening to for gaming and music, as well with a lower impedance for connecting to mobile devices

...might also find the Sony's a bit sterile (designed decades ago for professional video/audio production) and much prefer a more consumer style EQ response curve found on something like a Steel Series gaming headset. I personally use a Arctis 3 on my gaming pc and much prefer it over the 7506 for gaming and casual music listening. They have updated their product line with different model offerings. Different models/feature sets depending on what best will work for you.

Just a thought......if he's gaming and listening to music on a pc, you can get free equalizer apps that will let you
make any headphones sound like anything you want.

But he's not asking about them for playing music... He is asking about gaming and listening to music ;)

Music sounds great through the 58x too. Haha didn’t completely read the post. So many phone threads I just thought it was another one. The Audio Technica’s ATH-M50 sound good for recorded music and probably for gaming. My wife uses them for TV and music.

Back
Top Bottom