Having trouble hearing low notes on bass

MackieFX

Experienced
Im playing bass through my A7X monitors, generally going down to G# at the lowest. However Im noticing even in B standard Im really struggling to hear the notes when playing along with tracks. Playing the bass standalone its better, but the low note definition is just completely lost when jamming with tracks.

What approaches can I use to help with this? Low cut/EQ/Amps etc?

Thanks!

The A7Xs specify lower freq limit of 43 Hz (2Hz below low E's fundamental) so a subwoofer could help to balance the overall response. For definition, I'll typically roll off 50-ish Hz and below, adjust the mid cut to give the guitars some space (200-400Hz), and put a little high boost in the 1.6-2kHz range. Rolling lows probably wont' have that much audible effect on your monitors at normal listening levels, since the manufacturer states they don't go much below that anyway.

You'll want to search for EQ sweet spots in context of the music, so you may want to record straight into your DAW using the direct (unprocessed) signal from the AxeFX. Then you can play that signal back through the AxeFx, and hear how it blends with your backing tracks. You'll be amazed at how much different it sounds when you're not distracted by the "live" sound of your strings, frets, etc, and you'll be able to dial in your sound.

Back
Top Bottom