Has anybody compared Class D and non Class D FRFR systems?

joegold

Fractal Fanatic
Over the last few days I've rented a couple of FRFR powered speakers/monitors, a Yorkville E10P and a QSC K10.
Both systems use Class D power amps for both the LF and the HF drivers.
And on both systems it feels to me like the top end is OK but could/should be a lot better.
I was hoping to love the K10, but right now it's just a serious like.

The buzz I hear from around this forum is that Class D is usually not so hot for top end.

So I'm wondering if anyone has taken this into account during the various FRFR "shoot-outs" and whether or not this is an issue that I should take seriously as I look for an FRFR system to buy for use with my Ultra.

I see that the QSC HPR 122i is not using Class D for the HF driver.
That particular product is probably a bit heavier and bulkier than what I'd like to get, but has anybody out there A/B'd it with the K10 and focused in on the top-end content?

What are the best of the non Class D (for the HF driver) powered speakers/monitors?

Re: Has anybody compared Class D and non Class D FRFR system

And before anyone suggest the Yorkville NX55P let me say that I'll probably be checking one of these out in the near future.
But I can already tell that it's too heavy and big for what I'd really like to have.

joegold said:
The buzz I hear from around this forum is that Class D is usually not so hot for top end.
As with many things, "the buzz" has some basis in fact but is not generally correct.

So I'm wondering if anyone has taken this into account during the various FRFR "shoot-outs" and whether or not this is an issue that I should take seriously as I look for an FRFR system to buy for use with my Ultra.
It's one of many issues you should take seriously, but it's not an automatic dealbreaker.

Issues with "top end" in low- and mid- priced monitors are more often than not caused by the behavior of the compression driver/horn combination the manufacturer chose to use. The single component in which peformance and cost are most closely correlated is the HF driver, and many of the really good ones retail for about as much as the two-way monitors used by most Axe-Fx owners. It's possible that a specific Class D amp implementation can have an audible effect, but it is far more likely that the HF driver is the cause.

joegold said:
And before anyone suggest the Yorkville NX55P let me say that I'll probably be checking one of these out in the near future.
But I can already tell that it's too heavy and big for what I'd really like to have.

If it's the same as the specific NX55P I tried (rental stock), I think you're gonna hate it. The 10P is not perfect, but leaves the NX55 in the dust, IMO.

On the topic of amp topologies vs. driver quality (and of course cabinet and good engineering), I'm with Jay. Once the drivers are well and properly sorted, and well implemented including appropriate crossovers, then you consider amp quality.

We keep coming back to the fact that essentially all the monitors available for consideration are designed & built to hit reasonable price points in the marketplace.

Even with more budget, I don't know if there's anything out there that would meet a musician's criteria for portability and ruggedness.

You may find the RCF 310/322 series worth looking into since it has a 300W Class H amp for the low end and a 50W Class A/B for the high end that may address your concerns about the higher ranges.

FWIW, the salesman where I bought the RCF 310a thought the RCF series was flatter in response over the QSC K-series, even when EQ on the K-series was set "Flat"...

Stratoblaster said:
You may find the RCF 310/322 series worth looking into since it has a 300W Class H amp for the low end and a 50W Class A/B for the high end that may address your concerns about the higher ranges.

FWIW, the salesman where I bought the RCF 310a thought the RCF series was flatter in response over the QSC K-series, even when EQ on the K-series was set "Flat"...

Thanks. RCF is pretty hard to find around here, but i'll look into them anyway..

I'm happy with my RCF 322A. I've certainly heard harsher highs IMHO (Mackie) and more piercing/resonant highs (JBL Eon), although as Jay says, it probably has more to do with driver selection than power amp.

The RCF is typical powered monitor weight, meaning I'm still jealous of our bass player who can walk in with his entire rig & guitar!

Back
Top Bottom