Half stereo and mono copy

Bertotti

Inspired
I understand the summed mono and stereo but what I have trouble with is wrapping my head around the half stereo and mono copy. Any help to understand this better is appreciated. What are its uses? I don’t see the need as compared to straight mono stereo or summed.

Last edited:
Send one cable without changing settings, half stereo.

Have 2 copies of the exact same signal form a single output (left and right), mono copy.

Send one cable without changing settings, half stereo.

Have 2 copies of the exact same signal form a single output (left and right), mono copy.
How is mono copy different than summed if going out on the same line?
Thanks for the reply!

How is mono copy different than summed if going out on the same line?
Thanks for the reply!
Summed takes the Left and Right signals and merges (sums) them together and presents the same (summed) signal to Left and Right.

Since they may well be different, this can cause phasing issues as Chris mentioned.

Copy L->R just replicates the Left signal to the Right. There's no possibility of phasing because both sides are identical.

Summed takes the Left and Right signals and merges (sums) them together and presents the same (summed) signal to Left and Right.

Since they may well be different, this can cause phasing issues as Chris mentioned.

Copy L->R just replicates the Left signal to the Right. There's no possibility of phasing because both sides are identical.
If copy left to right copies the right signal how is that different than just playing the right signal?

If copy left to right copies the right signal how is that different than just playing the right signal?
Copying left to right means you have two mono signals exactly the same.

It's about where the signal/s are being sent to. In this case your sending two separate mono signals (Same signal) which is essentially splitting one signal to different receiving units.

To wrap your head around these options, think about where/what the physical outputs are being plugged into. These settings are for routing options.

Last edited:
Copying left to right means you have two mono signals exactly the same.

It's about where the signal/s are being sent to. In this case your sending two separate mono signals (Same signal) which is essentially splitting one signal to different receiving units.

To wrap your head around these options, think about where/what the physical outputs are being plugged into.
Ah so it is basically the right being sent to L and R.

Spontaneity half stereo? It seems that with stereo you could be missing some detail from the one side that is missing.

Not exactly, it is copying Left to Right... That's why it's called "Copy L->R" ;)
Ok copy left to right so the right channel is identical to the left? How is that not playing the same side on both? My head hurts. No being a wise guy I just don’t understand the distinction. If one side is copied to the other how is that not playing one side on both channels. Is it a power thing for the signal? Maybe? Splitting one sides signal weakens it but if it is copied it retains full signal strength?

Ok copy left to right so the right channel is identical to the left? How is that not playing the same side on both? My head hurts. No being a wise guy I just don’t understand the distinction. If one side is copied to the other how is that not playing one side on both channels. Is it a power thing for the signal? Maybe? Splitting one sides signal weakens it but if it is copied it retains full signal strength?
Does the full wiki explanation help? Read entire page….

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mono_and_stereo_signal

This might help.

Use stereo for stereo. Use Summed mono for mono when you aren't concerned about possible issues like phase or collapsed panning. Use mono copy L/R you want two identical copies of the left only signal to address two different monitors/amps/etc. Use mono copy or half stereo for the same when you only need one output.

1724771932212.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom