Guitar Monogamy

wesleyamltd

Inspired
Have you ever felt like selling all but one of your guitars?

To what extent, did you hope to get rid of the mental space owning several guitars takes up?
Maybe you wanted to sell all the middle of the road guitars for a really choice one.
Perhaps you just wanted to become so well connected with a particular guitar as though is was a part of you.

I’ve thought about this from time to time, less strings, less maintenance and more space.

But, I will talk myself out of it with rational thinking and sentimentality.

Minimalism can be romantic and idealistic, but it’s not seemingly practical for the modern guitarist.

And so I toil some more….

I often get stuck on one guitar for long periods, neglect the others. Not to the point of selling them, I think, yet, maybe, but I'm not playing them. If I could magically turn one or two of them into this month's Fantasy Axe I might well do that, but that's not very likely.

Have you ever felt like selling all but one of your guitars?
Did that, no regrets. Others didn't get a lot of playtime anyway. Playing only one guitar really makes some special bond - not from the "sentimental" side, only from player's perspective for me - like a "technical" connection with a particular neck and body.

Modern pickups cover so much sonic palette that whatever sound I'm after, usually I can get pretty close to it with whatever I have in guitar, even for a cover band. And with Fractal it's just a matter of selecting a proper amp and some EQ to get where I need to be.
Practicing with one guitar makes life so much easier. If (when) I find a better guitar, I'll just switch, end of story.

But in all honesty, if I could buy a gazillion guitars and real amps, I'd go for it, of course. Nothing sounds and feels like a proper Strat, or a proper Tele, etc. I just don't use those sounds every day.

Last edited:
I'm basically a one guitar guy. I own (and have only ever owned) three electric guitars. I started on acoustic when I was fourteen, so it was a couple years anyway before I even wanted an electric. I had tried people's electrics (Strats and Les Pauls) but they weren't really my cup o' tea. The summer after my sophomore year in high school, I tried a friend's electric, and for the first time, I loved the way it felt. It didn't play like any of the electrics I'd tried up until that point. I was like 'hmmm, so this is great. When I do get an electric guitar, it will be whatever type this is. Incidentally, when I asked him what type of guitar it was, he told me a brand name I hadn't heard of before... it was a Paul Reed Smith. (This was in '94... I was 16.) After proving to my parents that I was sticking with the instrument, they agreed to letting me get an electric guitar for the holidays.

We went to Daddy's Junky Music in Boston, and we asked the salesperson if they had any Paul Reed Smith guitars. So he takes us to the back room, and starts showing me Customs which start at like $2500. My (and my parents') eyes nearly fell out of our heads. None of us had any idea how much the guitar was going to be; I think we all assumed it would be like $400-500. The salesperson, sensing the discomfort, instead showed me one of the CE24 models, which he told us was the same quality as the Customs, but you don't have to pay for any special options like a 10-top, birds, etc., and that we'd not be paying any extra labor cost that goes into the gluing process of a set-necked guitar since this one had a maple neck. I promised to pay for a portion of the guitar, my parents conceded, and got the PRS.

I'm still playing this PRS today, 30 years later. I loved my guitar so much so that I wanted to work for the company (and eventually I did.) While working there, I got my second electric guitar: a modded version of a Hollowbody 1 (I'd wanted a hollowbody since I'd started playing, having been obsessed with Trey Anastasio of Phish.) This time, I got to choose my own stain color, electronics, and other little things.

My third (and final) electric guitar is an Eric Johnson Strat. When I had started playing out, I played a lot of funk, and could NOT get the correct tone I wanted while playing some of the songs we were covering. Turns out I needed a single coil guitar. Similarly, I had tried someone's EJ Strat at one point and thought to myself 'if I ever had to get a Strat, this will be the type.' And so it was.

Incidentally, I still play my original PRS CE24 95% of the time, despite the customizations of the Hollowbody. The scale length, neck carve, and 24-frets are just perfect for me. (I swapped out the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups with uncovered 24/08s, which I love.) The Strat sits dormant in its case for the most part, other than an occasional recording.

Since my goal is to make the most cash possible, I just have 4 of the same guitar that works well live with a couple bands I play in. (Warmoth partscaster with same pickups in all 4)

I’ve done it a couple times. Sold them all but one. Then slowly acquired more.
About two years ago I sold them all and kept my HSS Suhr and was quite content. Today I have five guitars hanging on the wall.
I think the key to only having one guitar is to stay away from the gear forums and to not read or watch any gear reviews.

Have done it. Don't recommend. LOL

It's like eating only your favorite food for every meal. Eventually you're likely going to get bored with it and seek out other flavors.

I am holding all my guitars (4 electrics, 2 acoustics) but I really only play one of each (OK maybe 2 electrics)… I keep the rest for sentimental reasons. I can’t remember the last time I played my first guitar (Strat) or my Les Paul or Ovation acoustic.

EDIT changed Takamine to Ovation - that's how long it's been (always go for the Taylor 514C)...

Last edited:
Never. I regret the few I've sold or traded.
40+ years on, I still regret the decision to get the Elite Strat instead of the lawsuit Ibanez Explorer. Was mostly a one or two guitar guy from then until I finally got a decent-paying job. Kinda went nuts the past 5 years or so....
1000012286.jpg

Yeah, I know my desk is a mess....

Back
Top Bottom