Green Day Dookie mod tone?

Ledvedder

Inspired
Apparently this is a very elusive subject. Has anyone been able to replicate the tone of the Dookie modded Marshall that's heard on Green Day's album? I've also read it was used on SOME Rancid albums. Supposedly it is a modded 1959. I've attached a schematic and a layout that I've found, in case anyone can assist. 1000011846.gif1000011847.jpg

Hmm, I've tried that based on some information on an old thread, but it wasn't getting there for me. Would you happen to have the settings that I should tweak?

this pic might help but I don’t personally use the settings as every guitar is different - source https://equipboard.com/pros/billie-joe-armstrong?gear=amplifiers

(I use a Seymour duncan JB with a guitar cabinet with v30’s)

use an IR of a 1960Aor 1960B (G12t-75’s for A and B ) with the speaker impeadance Brit 800 in the amp block

This should get you 90-95% there , adjust bass mid and treble to the IR you use or preference

though saying these … I definitely would like this particular 1950 slp with dookie mod amp modelled \m/

Attachments

• IMG_3428.png
    IMG_3428.png
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 8
this pic might help but I don’t personally use the settings as every guitar is different - source https://equipboard.com/pros/billie-joe-armstrong?gear=amplifiers

(I use a Seymour duncan JB with a guitar cabinet with v30’s)

use an IR of a 1960Aor 1960B (G12t-75’s for A and B ) with the speaker impeadance Brit 800 in the amp block

This should get you 90-95% there , adjust bass mid and treble to the IR you use or preference

though saying these … I definitely would like this particular 1950 slp with dookie mod amp modelled \m/
Sounds like he's only using the CAE for clean and mid-gain.

That's exactly the type of tone than I'm trying to get. For whatever reason, I haven't been able to get quite there.
last paragraph of this quote , maybe try it out
By the way, there are some isolated tracks on YouTube where you can listen the guitar tone out of the context of the entire band and it's not that great.
IIRC same amp was used by Rancid on And Out Come the Wolves, stellar album.
I think in both cases the entire band and the quality of mixing and mastering made all the difference.
Jerry Finn was involved on both, and whatever he touched was pure gold.

I've had Dookie mod in my 2203 for a short period, it was a one trick pony, very gainy, although quite cool and percussive with gain below 10 o'clock, surely a fun amp but nothing crazy. It also was much better in the room than on recording.

As for your request I had few minutes the other day, CAE Rhythm amp with tonestack changed to jcm800 into a 4x12 Greenback cab with 57+421 and a touch of room mic got me really close. Do not forget quite a bit of reverb.

And this made me finally choose the cae 3+ se crunch/rhythm channel

Dookie mod is a variation of CAE 3SE Crunch channel, with components value closer to a regular Plexi and the classic Marshall power amp with just a bit more negative feedback. Lead mod is straight CAE 3SE Lead channel into a Marshall power amp.
You have both CAE models available in the FM3 so you know what I mean...

On a another note the dookie mod is very close in tone to the 5150 IMO try the new stealth blue or 5150 blue channels

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom