Great to be back to Fractal

Pete1959

Inspired
When the FM3 was announced April 23rd, 2019, I put my name on the wait list. Having been an AX8 user since 2016, I really liked what FAS was showing and had complete confidence I would like the FM3 better than my AX8. You can skip to the last paragraph to read my review as the next bit is my own adventure.

Then the production delays started and hopes were dashing for the FM3 being used for any summer 2019 gigs. Once the gigs were finished, I thought sometime in the fall of 2019 would be fine and decided to put up the AX8 for sale while gigs stopped. Never anticipated how quickly I could fetch an excellent offer and sold it figuring I have other gear if delays continue and sold it.

As I loved the interface of the Headrush Gigboard, I figured I would try it out. Never got even close to the AX8 whether it was amps or effects/stomps. It was cheaper but despite buying some IRs, never close to the AX8 and sold it. They should add a software/USB interface like AX8 Edit and work extensively fixing modeling and FX. In the end, I sold it quickly and just used my old gear for time being. When FAS announced the first shipments would finally start arriving, without headphone jack, I passed as I found the jack useful and no gigs in sight meant I could wait.

Then the pandemic arrived with a severe financial impact to me. With no gigs (or FM3) in sight, I started selling other gear to have funds available when my turn came back up. It did and painfully had to pass hoping to get the finances back in the future. Using some FM3 funds, I purchased an Ampero One pedal which I still have. Much better than the Headrush IMO and might keep it as a backup unit to my future FM3. Still it was decent compared to the AX8 for basic amps and my IRs added improvement. Better than the Headrush with 3 buttons on the Ampero One, might help get my head used to a minimal setup on an FM3.

I have finally received my FM3 less than a month ago. Wow! While no chance for an AX8-FM3 side by side comparison, this unit is better in so many ways over the AX8 starting primarily with the pedal control itself. I hated them on the old AX8 and always had my laptop or iPad (via Fracpad) connected. I did maybe 10 minutes of tweaking on the AX8 physically over 3 plus years. Everything was done via AX8-Edit. The FM3 is so much easier to tweak and configure and the 3 button layout is brilliant in its implementation. Still, FM3-Edit brings back a welcome interface with a very easy learning curve moving from the AX8. Really feels good to be back and couldn't be happier. Congratulations Fractal. Fantastic product and just so much more capable than anything I have ever owned. The added bonus of all those additional amps & cabs, flexible switching and Cygnus on the horizon, this is a great place to be.

Back
Top Bottom