Good quality convertible hand truck/cart

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
For moving heavy or awkward stuff around the house, and potentially for moving music gear, I'm looking for a good quality combo hand truck (vertical) / cart (horizontal). There are a bunch of them on Amazon, but it's hard to know what's actually good.

Does anyone have thumbs up or down opinions on anything like that?

Thanks.

I use a regular hand truck that I took the air tires off ordered two tires that don’t need air so there never flat. I bought the tires on amazon.
Works great for everything but I use it mostly only for music gear. Wasn’t sure about the airless tires but they handle the weight really good.

@iaresee i tried to look at the HomeDepot link you posted but I think because I have a Pro Account it redirects me to our local HomeDepot stores.

@iaresee i tried to look at the HomeDepot link you posted but I think because I have a Pro Account it redirects me to our local HomeDepot stores.
Oh weird. It's this. Though mine only telescopes once. And I'm pretty sure it cost me like $100+. Actually, I think my dad bought it for me when I was in college and he came to a gig and saw me hauling my shit around bars in Toronto. Which means it's like...older that 20 years! :D

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 8.23.39 PM.png

Oh weird. It's this. Though mine only telescopes once. And I'm pretty sure it cost me like $100+. Actually, I think my dad bought it for me when I was in college and he came to a gig and saw me hauling my shit around bars in Toronto. Which means it's like...older that 20 years! :D

View attachment 143453
Hey right on I dig yours really light weight that was nice of your Dad to do that for you.
I got the hand truck I use from my dad also mines a lot heavier then your’s though it’s all steel pretty heavy duty but it’s what I have so that’s what I use.
Yay I tried several times to open the link it’s done this before since I have a Pro Account it just starts thinking and never goes anywhere. Lighter is always better and easier on the back thats for sure.
Thanks!

Not cheap in any sense of the word, I saw UPS using Magliner Gemini carts years ago, and I bought one for band work. I’ve carried everything from 600 pound gun safes, to guitar gear, to large PA mains on it without issue, and about 15 years later it’s still going like new. It took a couple of gigs worth of money to buy it, but paid off for hundreds of gigs after.

I just checked cost and, as expected, prices are considerably higher than when I bought mine. But if you ever want a once and done purchase option, I can’t recommend anything better.

Thanks for all these ideas folks, great answers.

Yeah size is an issue if i starting gigging or jamming out of the house again -- we have a Prius C, would fit in the glove compartment of most cars.

The stand-up-only ones wouldn't do it for some of my jobs. Like right now I have a dead 40 gallon snake habitat in my upstairs hall. Not insanely heavy, but not that light, and big and awkward to move much. It has to come down a flight of stairs, down a couple more stairs, twice, then down the walk to the street. There's a small chance i could upright it, but it'd be easier and safer on a flat cart.

Back
Top Bottom