Good Drive Patches - need help!

grOOvadelic

My biggest struggle thus far has been in dialing in a good tone with the drive blocks. I'm using an EV FR PA speaker through a Crown XTI amp - also just got a 2x12 cab loaded with Beyma 12GA50s (full range but with a logarithmic drop around 8k).

With my old setup, I had a late 70s rat and TS808 reissue that did the job in front of my Vox AC30 TBX or Fender 59 Bassman LTD set to clean/early break up. I'm looking for a similar setup using IA's for Drive 1 and Drive 2 while relatively maintaining unity volume and haven't been able to come up with anything usable. I used this rig for 7 years and so I'm constantly trying to tweak to get it to match the tone in my head.

1. The TS808 doesn't drive my amp block enough unless I set the level high - but that creates too much of a volume increase. I want to be able to switch from OD and clean in a song and still be able to hear the clean. The drive knob seems to have much less on tap then the actual pedal. When I get the amount of drive I'm satisfied with, the block doesn't compress and react the way I'm used to. Almost like the bass and mids get too fat/creamy sounding turning muddy. I've struggled with the EQ settings trying to "dial" things out, but I guess I'm hoping there's something you all are using where I can get a good sound "out of the box."

2. Anyone have a good Rat setting? Particularly looking for something fully saturated right before the Rat starts fuzzing out - just enough bite, but nothing obnoxious. I loved that pedal more than any OD I've ever had, but I have not had any interest in the Axe's version of the Rat after playing with it for a while.

I would put a volume block after the amp or cab and adjust it when the is drive on to be the same volume you get without the drive. Then set up your CC's or controller pedal to trigger them both.

Back
Top Bottom