Going from FX3 MKii to FM9 Turbo

DaveW

Hi just traded my FX3 for the FM9 as I feel the foot switches give me more functionality.
Any tips on things I should be aware about moving from FX3 to FM9 other than the DSP?

Cheers
Dave

I'll second the OFM9G layout and I also like using the layout links like has been discussed in other threads and Cooper Carter has a quick tutorial on. I do miss the second pitch block as well. I love all the crazy stuff you can do with the III but so far for live use it is nearly perfect for me. I really dig having access to the front panel at my feet. I've finally started using the global and per preset knob assignments which is super handy. I hope they keep buffing up this form factor. I'd so love it if you could have the III in either rack or floor model as fits your needs or maybe someday they will have an FC-9 with a remote screen and knobs.

I'll second the OFM9G layout and I also like using the layout links like has been discussed in other threads and Cooper Carter has a quick tutorial on. I do miss the second pitch block as well. I love all the crazy stuff you can do with the III but so far for live use it is nearly perfect for me. I really dig having access to the front panel at my feet. I've finally started using the global and per preset knob assignments which is super handy. I hope they keep buffing up this form factor. I'd so love it if you could have the III in either rack or floor model as fits your needs or maybe someday they will have an FC-9 with a remote screen and knobs.
Cheers will look at the Global and Per-preset assignments.

Global blocks and a 2nd pitch. I am hoping Cliff see's these posts and is going to surprise all of us with both. Probably the two most requested things for the FM9.

I made the same move around a month ago. A few thoughts on my experience from going the AXE-FX to FM9

• I did need to change how I approached some of my more DSP-intense presets. I learned that there are likely several ways to achieve the desired tone using Fractal units. They may have slightly different flavours but the final outcome I'm still thrilled with them. So don't be afraid to try different ideas or approaches where DSP is a limiting factor. I went from my loading my Axe presets and maxing out the FM9 at 100% to now having the same preset with core tones mostly the same at ~80%.
  • I found that I use the Performance pages a lot more in a live setting. It's probably that I stay on the Performance page and my eyes see it all the time so I'm more inclined to make quick changes. Unlike some I never had a problem with taking a laptop to a gig with the Axe-FX 3 to make adjustments - it was quicker and I was more comfortable using Axe-Edit. Haven't used the laptop in a live setting since then.
  • If you're not familiar with the Fractal foot controllers then I'd suggest taking some time to map out how you want to design the layouts. I found my key tones (scenes) need to be always available but the great thing about the customizability is you can design these based around your workflow. In short, don't just load up a default or OFMG9 layout and stop there.

Lastly, I love how much more convenient and portable it is for transportation when you live in a big city and often rely on public transport to play out.

I made the same move around a month ago. A few thoughts on my experience from going the AXE-FX to FM9

• I did need to change how I approached some of my more DSP-intense presets. I learned that there are likely several ways to achieve the desired tone using Fractal units. They may have slightly different flavours but the final outcome I'm still thrilled with them. So don't be afraid to try different ideas or approaches where DSP is a limiting factor. I went from my loading my Axe presets and maxing out the FM9 at 100% to now having the same preset with core tones mostly the same at ~80%.
  • I found that I use the Performance pages a lot more in a live setting. It's probably that I stay on the Performance page and my eyes see it all the time so I'm more inclined to make quick changes. Unlike some I never had a problem with taking a laptop to a gig with the Axe-FX 3 to make adjustments - it was quicker and I was more comfortable using Axe-Edit. Haven't used the laptop in a live setting since then.
  • If you're not familiar with the Fractal foot controllers then I'd suggest taking some time to map out how you want to design the layouts. I found my key tones (scenes) need to be always available but the great thing about the customizability is you can design these based around your workflow. In short, don't just load up a default or OFMG9 layout and stop there.

Lastly, I love how much more convenient and portable it is for transportation when you live in a big city and often rely on public transport to play out.
Thanks very much for this feedback. FM9 just landed and so far very pleased.

Back
Top Bottom