Global external effects loop?

UK Phil

Hi..
Is there any way of applying a global send and return loop into ALL the presets at a set point say post Cab/IR block for my strymon cloudburstetc) or pre amp block for vintage fuzz pedals) .. without the need to do it within each preset? Thanks for any expertise out there!

I don't think so. You can create a template so any new presets you create will already have them but existing presets will need to be modified one by one to add them.

Cheers..
It seems such an obvious thing to want to do .. its really irritating having to do it for each preset .. especially for live use.. maybe an OS update could include an option at start up like it does for the OMGs?
Wishing you all the best in your music.. and for the New Year

Is there any way of applying a global send and return loop into ALL the presets at a set point say post Cab/IR block for my strymon cloudburstetc) or pre amp block for vintage fuzz pedals) .. without the need to do it within each preset?
It seems such an obvious thing to want to do .. its really irritating having to do it for each preset .. especially for live use.. maybe an OS update could include an option at start up like it does for the OMGs?
Unless every preset you make is identical there’s no way that the hardware would know where to automagically insert the external effects-loop’s send and return blocks. And if it did it wrong, since effect types can have desirable and undesirable results depending on their location in the chain, what would you be able to do about it?

In your example of using a Cloudburst, or a fuzz pedal, how is the modeler supposed to know what those devices are going to do to the sound? Analyze their effect and then adjust the spot where the loop originates ahead of the Amp block for the fuzz, and switch it to after the cab or immediately ahead of the Out block for the Cloudburst?

What if both are running at the same time? Should the modeler add new patch cables and plug them in to newly added effect send and return blocks in the pre or post sections of the layout without affecting the sound?

It seems like it is obvious until it isn’t.

The effect loop send and return blocks, and the output and input jacks, are not specific to effects, they are electrically equivalent to the guitar’s signal strength, allowing them to be used to send signals to amplifiers, mixers, and anything else we choose, or receive signals from effects or a mixer or the return of an amp. Flexibility is Fractal’s goal, and the modeler can’t anticipate your goals, only you can. Read through section 4 in the manual and look at all the different ways you can configure the modeler and situations you can use it in, and you’ll quickly see that there is no common use-case.

Last edited:
I do appreciate your time and points raised. Its not a deal breaker .. I totally love my fractal, but thought I’d just seek wise counsel from those whove owned them longer!
My point is that in the real world if you have a bunch of fuzz /gain/drive pedals before your amp or reverb/delay on stage in the pre-post loop, it is traditionally always in the same part of the chain and can be set and then just turn on or off. In the fractal, surely it could be an option to assign output and input two to always send and return at a set point either immediately before the amp block or immediately after the speaker block for instance.. for live use? All presets tend to use these blocks..They cater for global assigns for outputs etc and other switching/expressions and using/not using an additional FC6 etc. appreciate it is not for everyone.. but if flexibility is key it could be also be a start up option if needed? I appreciate you would only have the 1 insert loop option/position.. at least on the FM3
Ive tried the fuzz pre FM3 and the strymon stuff post FM3 ..but in the send/return loop sounds better and easier to adjust levels etc.

the contents of the preset determine the signal chain. unless it was something like the FX8 with "hardwired" pre and post, it cannot be done automatically.

we have endless options due to the flexibility of the grid, but that comes at the cost of needing to setup the grid the way we want.

Back
Top Bottom