Glitch, then extreme delay

HazyD

Hey all! Brand new user. Day 3 of going through the manual and tutorials, etc. For two days, I've had no problem. Today, big problem. Is it a bug? Glitch?

> Today it started randomly cutting out (sound cuts out for half a second) followed by an extreme delay that persists even when I've switched to another preset. I have to completely reboot to get rid of it. Upon reboot everything is fine, then it will randomly happen again. It's happened when clicking a button to bypass a block, when scrolling through scenes with the switches, when I was comparing the four different channels of a drive block, press-holding the right switch to change views. It doesn't seem to be one particular thing that triggers it.

BTW it happened before AND after updating the firmware to 8 today.

I have a video of it happening I can send you (won't let me post it 'cuz I'm new)

If so, You'll see:

0:00. Me testing a couple scenes on Factory Preset #377
0:11 I enter the Layout of Scene 5 to edit the blocks.
0:20 I navigate to the Compressor block and hit Bypass. Strum a chord. It's fine.
0:21 I start to play a groove.
0:23 The sound briefly cuts out, then the extreme delay starts (of the groove)
0:29 I play a couple of single chords so you can clearly hear the delay
0:44 Switch to another preset (#378) and strum, still has the extreme delay

(I left off the start of video that shows me booting up, selecting factory preset #377 Brett's Party Pack, putting it in Scene layout and strumming each scene to make sure they were playing correctly.)

Thoughts??

CPU is about 65%
I have done some more testing and the issue doesn't happen when plugged into an acoustic amp. I was using Logic to hear it through my studio monitors when the issue started happening, and I was connected via USB choosing FM3 for the input device in Logic. So next I will try connecting the output directly to the input of my UA audio interface instead and see if that solves it. If so, it's definitely a USB connection problem, and I just won't use it that way.

If so, it's definitely a USB connection problem, and I just won't use it that way.
I’m not sure what you mean here, but having it connected through USB should not give you problems and the USB connection is IMO important and indispensable. I would get to the bottom of this problem and troubleshoot the USB connection.

When you say "delay" are you meaning an echo effect like a Delay pedal or do you mean the audio you hear is lagging from what you play (latency)?

Are you running a DAW when this happens?

How are you monitoring?

When you say "delay" are you meaning an echo effect like a Delay pedal or do you mean the audio you hear is lagging from what you play (latency)?

Are you running a DAW when this happens?

How are you monitoring?
  • It's definitely delay, not latency. I strum the chord, and a full second or more later, the sound plays.
  • Yes, using a DAW. Connected to computer via USB, running Logic, audio track enabled, with FM3 chosen as the input device. Monitoring through studio speakers.

It doesn't do it when using headphones or connected via the outs to a speaker.

Today I'll have time to set it up the same way but use the input jack of my audio interface and choose that as the input device instead. I'm assuming that won't be a problem. I'll report back!

I’m not sure what you mean here, but having it connected through USB should not give you problems and the USB connection is IMO important and indispensable. I would get to the bottom of this problem and troubleshoot the USB connection.
Yes, definitely want to use the USB connection for editing. It seems to be the culprit for that audio glitch as so far it only happens when connected that way (using FM3 as the input device for Logic). I'll test it using my audio interface for the input today, and if that's glitch-free, then it's definitely something to do with the DAW/USB input connection.

• It's definitely delay, not latency. I strum the chord, and a full second or more later, the sound plays.
  • Yes, using a DAW. Connected to computer via USB, running Logic, audio track enabled, with FM3 chosen as the input device. Monitoring through studio speakers.

It doesn't do it when using headphones or connected via the outs to a speaker.

Today I'll have time to set it up the same way but use the input jack of my audio interface and choose that as the input device instead. I'm assuming that won't be a problem. I'll report back!
What you described is latency of some sort. You play and there is no sound until some period of time has gone by.

With a delay, you'd hear the original sound and then hear it repeated after some time.

From what you described, the problem is on the DAW.

If you use the FM3 as the input and output device and mute the track in the DAW (so you're using direct monitoring), does that resolve the issue?

Definitely USB monitoring latency. IIRC the FM3 still has the USB latency reporting issue that has been corrected on the Axe III and FM9. Might be related to that. I believe the work around was to set the DAW's latency compensation manually instead of allowing it to auto-compensate. @GlennO would probably have some good info on it and correcting it in Logic.

The better solution is to monitor direct via analog to remove all USB latency from your monitoring feed.

@HazyD Mr. Fender also has it right: monitor directly with no USB round trip latency if possible.
If you're going to use USB though, also set the USB Buffer Size to its lowest value. Find that in SETUP > I/O > Audio

Back
Top Bottom