Gibson Les Paul Classic owners

JasonB5232

Inspired
Thinking of buying a 2019 Les Paul Classic or a Les Paul Standard 60s. It's really about the neck on those two options. What I'm wondering though is if you find the control options, push/pull coil split, phase and direct actually useful on the Classic. In my mind, I can cover a lot of ground in a gig.

I play in a cover band so I need the variety. I've had coil split before so I know what I'm getting (if I really need a Strat, I'll play a Strat.)

When I've gotten guitars in the past that I thought would cover a lot of ground, I've ended up feeling like they did a lot of things, but none of them really well. Trying to make sure I don't fall into an old trap because I want a Les Paul that is good at being a Les Paul first.

I use them. You're not going to get that strat neck pickup sound, but the splits and phase give you some variation of tone. I use the direct sometimes when I want to avoid repeatedly checking the knobs to make sure they're all turned up :).

@GlennO, is the direct option a noticeable volume/tone difference. In my head, I could use it as a boost. I ride the guitar volume and I'm rarely on 10.

Paf style pickups don’t split well because the output is not enough for half a pickup. They are only a bit more than a single coil in full. Also the best tones on a Les Paul are the three on stock wiring.

Back
Top Bottom